Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh Guards

Ferguson73uk

Here's hoping that one of the Pals can help me out. Does anyone have any information as to how 2nd Lt. Reginald Rees Jones won his DSO at Passchendaele? He died of wounds on 25/8/17. An internet search has failed to turn up anything on him.

Thanks!

Jonathan

From the regimental history: he was a subaltern with No 4 Company for the attack on 31st July, towards Wood 16. He rushed a pill box (the battn hadn't seen one before) and fired through the loophole, killing the gunner while his men dealt with those leving the pill box. The division took 750 prisoners, 30 mg, and 1 howitzer. The Welsh lost 138 men: "amongst them ... the gallant 2nd Lt R R Jones, mortally wounded".

He joined from the Cadet Bn in 1916, arriving in France 10.2.17 to 25.8.17. Wounded 31.7.17, died 25.8.17. Mention and DSO.

Citation: "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an advance. When the leading waves were temporarily held up by fire from a blockhouse he pushed up to the obstacle and fired his rifle through the slits, regardless of the danger which confronted him. He then entered the blockhouse himself , dealt with the occupants, and enabled the advance to be continued. He was later wounded in the head, having acted throughout the operation with great gallantry and initiative."

Thanks, Steven. It now appears that he lived a few streets away from me and I have found a picture in a book of local photographs.

Jonathan