Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

sailors died

guernseyliz

it's probably a silly question but my excuse is i haven't really done anything much on the navy in ww1. anyway is there a publication for naval deaths along the lines of " soldiers died"?i havent found any reference to it in web searches hence the question.

many thanks

liz

Hello Liz

Sadly, there is not such a publication. There have been a number of lists compiled from War Graves and ledgers.

If you have any questions about specific incidents or personnel, please let me know.

All best

don

it's probably a silly question but my excuse is i haven't really done anything much on the navy in ww1. anyway is there a publication for naval deaths along the lines of " soldiers died"?i havent found any reference to it in web searches hence the question.

many thanks

liz

Liz,

The following cover Naval Deaths

1. 'The Cross of Sacrifice' by S.D. & D.B. Jarvis cover:

Vol. II - Officers who died in service of the RN, RNR, RNVR, RM, RNAS. RAF 1914-1919.

Vol. III - Officers who died in the service of British Commonwealth and Colonial Navies, Regiments

and Corps and Air Forces 1914-1919.

Vol. IV - NCO's, Men & Women of the UK, Commonwealth and Empire who died in the service of RN,

RM. RNAS, RFC & RAF 1914-1921.

Vol. V - Officers, Men and Women of the Merchant Navy and Mercantile Fleet Auxillary 1914-1919.

These volumes vary slightly in the listing depending on the service, but do give Surname, First Name, Rank, Decorations, Cause of Death, Date, Unit and CWGC Register No.

2. 'With Full and Grateful Hearts' a register of RM Deaths 1914-19' - this shows Surname, First Name,

Rank, Number, Date of Death, Ship/Unit, Place, Burial (CWGC Register No.)

3. 'First World War Army, Army Officer and Naval War Deaths' this is a CD-ROM and shows

Surname, First Name, Rank or Rating, Number, Ship or Unit, Year of Death with reference to

original documents (where available) - Place of burial or commemoration isn't shown.

The main difference of the above titles to Officers / Soldiers Died is, place of birth, enlistment or residence isn't given.

Regards,

Alan