Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Marines medals

Len Trim

Hi,

trying to find out more about my grandad's medals and service. In the Marines section of the NA I seem to be unable to get down to an individual marines records. Is this correct or am I doing something stupid? Similarly in the medal section I can get many 'Trim' surnames, but I notice that none of them are marines. Are they in a separate set of records? Thanks in anticipation. :):)

Len

RM Records are @ the NA but not as far as I am aware available Online.

Similarly the MiC do not record RM/RMLI/RMA/RMLC Medals,they are usually recorded on the Service Record.

Len,

Try the Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton for records. Also, visit John Marshall's site - search for 'Jack Clegg' on Google; a superb site on the RMLI.

Good luck,

Jonathan

Thanks for the information. The 'Jack Clegg' website is full of fascinating material. Just think one of the men in the pictures may be my grandad.

Len

Len

I echo what has been said about the Fleet Air Arm Museum. Like you, I got a single service record about my relative at the NA, but I e-mailed the FAAM and they had a at least another 7 or 8 papers that helped fill out his story. Write or e-mail them with as much info as possible and they will try to check him against their files. They do have a bit of a waiting list though so don't expect an immediate reply. You might be lucky.

Regards

LIT

I echo what has been said about the Fleet Air Arm Museum. Like you, I got a single service record about my relative at the NA, but I e-mailed the FAAM and they had a at least another 7 or 8 papers that helped fill out his story. Write or e-mail them with as much info as possible and they will try to check him against their files. They do have a bit of a waiting list though so don't expect an immediate reply. You might be lucky.

I shall do this tonight. I shall also start researching the various ships he served on. Thanks for the help :D

Len