Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Richard Porter K.S.L.I. 1918

Guest Denis Gornall

Guest Denis Gornall

Hello there

I have just found this site and I am most impressed.

I am researching Private Richard Porter (43393) who was in the 1st. Btn. King's Shropshire Light Infantry. Richard was my great uncle. He died on 17 October, 1918 and is buried in High Tree Cemetery (A4), Montbrehain.

High Tree Cemetery contains 48 graves, 18 of which are K.S.L.I. and almost all of them died on 8th October 1918 and 17th. October 1918. Would anyone know if it is possible to discover what action occured on these dates and the preceding months.

Denis Gornall

Hi Denis

I can give you info. for 1/K.S.L.I.'s on these days, I will type in up in next few days.

Annette

Guest Denis Gornall
Hi Denis

I can give you info. for 1/K.S.L.I.'s on these days, I will type in up in next few days.

Annette

Thanks very much Annette. Your effort is much appreciated

Denis

Hi Denis

The Battalion had been in the Ypres salient, from the end of March 1918 until the 21st August when it moved south. It took part in fighting at Fresnoy-le-Petit over the 18th & 24th Sept. It was in action again on the 7th October, the Brigades objective was Mericourt, the 1/K.S.L.I. were in the first wave, its objective was a sunken road east of Mannikin Hill, which it captured. During the night the Battalion side stepped to the left, and attacked at 5 a.m. on the 9th and gained its objective and patrols sent into Fresnoy-le-Grand and later pushed forward along the Fresnoy-Bohain railway. The Brigade was in Divisional Reserve from the 10th to 16th. On the 17th October the Battalion attacked from the south-east corner of Busigny Wood, and gained its objectives.

Annette

Guest Denis Gornall
Hi Denis

The Battalion had been in the Ypres salient, from the end of March 1918 until the 21st August when it moved south. It took part in fighting at Fresnoy-le-Petit over the 18th & 24th Sept. It was in action again on the 7th October, the Brigades objective was Mericourt, the 1/K.S.L.I. were in the first wave, its objective was a sunken road east of Mannikin Hill, which it captured. During the night the Battalion side stepped to the left, and attacked at 5 a.m. on the 9th and gained its objective and patrols sent into Fresnoy-le-Grand and later pushed forward along the Fresnoy-Bohain railway. The Brigade was in Divisional Reserve from the 10th to 16th. On the 17th October the Battalion attacked from the south-east corner of Busigny Wood, and gained its objectives.

Annette

Thank you very much for that report Annette. It was very much more than I could have anticipated.

I am rather new to military history. Are the sources that you have used readily accessible? I would like to research more on the K.S.L.I. during the 1914-1918 period but to date have only found rather general references to them in what is a very big picture. If you could point me in the direction of any more specific and readily accessible sources I would be most grateful

Regards

Denis.

Are the sources that you have used readily accessible?

Regards

Denis.

Denis,

You could probably buy Annette's book :)

Roy

Denis,

I suggest that you PM her to ask if she has any copies left. Highly recommended book.

Roy

Hi

Thanks Roy :rolleyes: Denis I have PM you back and can I say its nice to have someone else on the forum who is also interested in the Shropshires.

Annette