Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Richards DCM Citation

Ciaran Byrne

I was doing a few lookups tonight and came across the following. Apoliges if its been done before:

Frank Richrds DCM

6584 Private F. Richards, 2nd Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

For conspicuous gallantry. During a successful attack, Privates1 Richards and Barrett

took their telephone over the parapet, established and maintained communication.

They lay out in the open for three hours, and repaired the wire whenever it was cut.

This was for 5th Feb 1916, when the battalion was called out of rest in Fouquereuil , given the first issue of 'tin hats' and detailed to assault a mine crater at Annequin South. C company with attached personnel did the job, successfully completed, commanded by ex-CSM Stanway [who subsequently rose to Lt Col]. The action inspired an MC and five DCMs. Richards comment was that 'we had did [sic] no more than the other men, we were the lucky ones'. But he got very drunk after the award ceremony. Paddy Barrett died of wounds 15th September 1918 and is buried at Varennes CWGC cemetery.

Gee thanks LB1418 that was most enlightening, I really do appreciate your getting the references out and adding this, it made my day.

Please keep up the good work.

Gee thanks LB1418 that was most enlightening, I really do appreciate your getting the references out and adding this, it made my day.

:D

We love you really LB. We're just like kids. We only ever appreciate you when you're not there.

By the way, I don't suppose you could lend me twenty quid, Dad?

Steve.

I think the reason nobody replied was that we were all just stunned into silence at your superior knowledge.

yes, but I am 'expert', ie. someone who learned more and more about less and less until he knew everything about nothing. I depend on others for info. about most other 1418 topics.

Feel loved now?