Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'd like to go to Gallipoli

Owen D

I've never been to Gallipoli before.

Thinking off maybe going there October 06 when kids off for half term.They don't mind battlefield visits we did Normandy last October and parts of the Western Front this month.

Like all my battlefield visits now the trip would have to be part family holiday part pilgramage.

I'd want to go under my own steam at my own pace. No tours thank you.

Any suggestions. Or should I forget it until at least the 100th Anniverary?

OK ignore this, been looking into the logistics of it and I think it'll have to wait a few years before going. Tried to delete the thread but can't.

A visit to Gallipoli is very different to going to France and Flanders; which you seem to have discovered for yourself. Gallipoli is a remote and wild place; there is civilisation close by, but not readily at hand. That is a major consideration when taking children to the area, I suspect.

There are quite a few Gallipoli websites and websites with Gallipoli information on which will help you plan your visit; you should go one day, it is an amazing battlefield.

• 2 weeks later...

I would hesitate to take young children to Gallipoli, accommodation is not brilliant on the european side although slightly better on the Asiatic side. there is little if anything for the kids to do and as a previous poster said, its a wild and remote place.

jerry

I know I should've started this but it was late one night and I was dreaming. Should've gone in my young free and single days.

Its still worth going, particularly if you have a relative who was there - or is still there.

Jerry

Get going Owen!!

You live a stones throw away compared to the Australians and New Zealanders, like myself, and can get over there for next to nix. I went last year it is pretty simple to get around and some of the blokes on this website live nearby. I caught up with Bill (Eceabat) for a beer and he was extremely helpful.

There are a number of hostels/hotels in Eceabat, whilst they are basic they would be fine for a family. There is also plenty of decent accommodation in Channakale. I took the basic guided tour to Anzac last year, which was OK but you are roped into what the tour guide wanted to do. I also took another short private tour to Helles and Suvla, which was accomplished in the next day. Unfortunately I only had limited time as I had to get to Italy for a wedding. When I go again I will be staying at Eceabat and spending a couple of weeks walking the peninsula.

I would recommend hiring a car (from Istanbul or elsewhere) so you can get around to see what you want to. Anzac was a big dissapointment for me because of the work that has been done...but Helles and especially Suva were especially haunting....probably much as it was in 1915.

Rgds

Tim

Tim

Missed you by a week or so last year because of your commitments in Italy.

Dont worry Mate, I will be there again with the "Brown Slouch Hat With the Side

Turned Up"

I will also have a few EFES for those Aussies and Kiwi's not able to go

Peter

And for the "budget consious" there is good news ...

Easyjet will start flying from London to Istanbul from end of May onwards

eric

Tim

Missed you by a week or so last year because of your commitments in Italy.

Dont worry Mate, I will be there again with the "Brown Slouch Hat With the Side

Turned Up"

I will also have a few EFES for those Aussies and Kiwi's not able to go

Peter

Cheers Peter,

Will be going back one day soon.....this year I will be at Isurava.

Rgds

Tim

Tim

Did the Kokoda Track in 1969 Walked from Kokoda to McDonalds Corner

while working in PNG.

The new walking Track at Sandakan looks good.

I have spoken to the higher authority and she MAY loosen

the purse strings (again)

Cheers

Peter

Cheers Peter,

Would like to do it during a less busy period....but I may be OS for work for some time after June. I am planning to do quite a bit more in PNG when I get the chance.

Rgds

Tim

"Easyjet will start flying from London to Istanbul from end of May onwards"

Great news, Eric. Any idea of probable price? Cheapest I've come across thus far is £150 LOndon to Istanbul reurn.

To whoever started the thread, tell higher authority you job's taking you away. Stay in Eceabat at TJ's - great value made even better by the fact that Bill sups there. Remarkable knowledge and genorisity sharing it and a great boozer too.

Gallipoli is the palce to go. Don't waste it on the kidsd, send them to Disneyland.

Chris

Dear Chris,

Have checked with Easyjet website :

1. Flights start as from 29th June.

2. As a example I tried lon-ist on 9th Oct, return 15th. One adult. Price 101.48 pounds, ALL included.

eric

To whoever started the thread, tell higher authority you job's taking you away.

Gallipoli is the palce to go. Don't waste it on the kidsd, send them to Disneyland.

Chris

Chris , Thanks for the encouragement but I think the Mrs will get wise as a red Royal Mail van doesn't normally need to go to Gallipoli, think she might suss that one.

We did Disney last month see my thread on Going To The Battlefields.

:)

150 pounds to fly Lonon to Instanbul!!!

It costs me that to fly from Albury to Melbourne return!!!!!!!!

From Melbourne to Turkey about $1400.00.

GO!!!

Cheers

Kim

A few years back I was in this "should I, shouldn't I?" dilemma and decided to throw caution (and money) to the wind. I'm so glad I did as it was great and I have some fantastic memories.

So different to the Western Front. When the autumn rains come the top surface gets washed down the hillsides and some interesting (and often quite grisly) things are revealed, especially up around Lone Pine.

It's a must, so go if you can. Reasonably good food and accom in Eceabat, and gome GREAT bars!

To do your own thing you'll need a hire car - collect it from the airport and watch out for mad Turkish drivers. I drove up from Izmir and wished I hadn't - white knuckle ride for the first 60km.

Once on the peninsula, watch out for snakes, sharp thorn bushes and angry farmers' dogs with spiked collars (take a big stick with you or a sharp ski pole thingy). I love dogs but value my limbs more highly.

Paul