Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Ribbon Identification Please

Guest sharonkiff

Guest sharonkiff

Richard%20Newman%201919%20Cologne_01.jpg

I would be very grateful if someone is able to identify the medal ribbons on this photo of my grandfather. I am also trying to de-cypher his lapel badge number - I believe it ends with a letter C - and his unit. The cap badge on the second photo has been identified for me as belonging to the London Royal Fusiliers. I searched the National Archive for my grandfather, Richard Newman, and that name did appear with the Royal Fusilier corps but is this the same as the London Royal Fusilier corps?

Richard%20Newman_01.jpg

Larger images can be viewed at - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sharon.kiff1/images/

Many Thanks

Sharon

As the photo is 1919 The Army of the Rhine,I suspect they are the British War Medal 1914~1920 & Allied Victory Medal 1914~1919,the Ribbons would have been distributed well before the actual medals were issued,especially to still serving Troops!

The Royal Fusiliers & the First four Battalions of the London Regiment [TF] were Royal Fusilier Battalions,so in answer to your query Yes they are the same{Badge wise @ least}

The Badges worn on the Epaulettes were Shoulder Titles & were reflective of the Regiment or Corps the wearer belonged to,if your Granndfather is the same chap in both Photos then the Titles should read RF;possibly he later transferred to another Corps,such as ASC{Army Service Corps} or AVC{Army Veteinary Corps} & this picture reflects that {Having looked @ the larger version I agree it does seem to end in "C".,hence my "Guesses" as to its origin,both large three letter Shoulder Titles that end in C}