Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Hole of Lille 1917

Manitoba

Throughout 1916 and into early 1917 Fort Macdonald, Lille, had been used as a collection centre for allied POWs along the Lens front, before their transfer to POW camps in Germany. Conditions in and around Lille changed for the worse from April 1917 as a result of the German government's so called Prisoners of Respite case. Does anyone have more details as to what was going on, how POWs were affected, and how, if at all, it was resolved?

Manitoba

I connected but the use seems restricted. This message appeared:

ADFA ADT Administration access only

Ann

If I clink on the link it takes me to an index page of 13 pdf documents. Admitedly for some reason the documents are blank on this machine when downloaded!

I got into it yesterday and earlier today no problem using this link which I actually checked in the preview before I posted it.

If you can get it to work the documents are the 13 parts of a thesis written last year by Patrick Regan on Australian PoW's.

It has some very good references in it. I was not aware before I read it that that the AWM has copies of the printed reports from WO161 relating to Australians. Whether this includes anything from the missing section I have not yet identified. Also some 40+% of all Australian prisoners were interviewed on their return after the armistice. Most of these relate to their experiences of capture etc but few include their experiences in the camps. The black hole of Lille appears in chapter 2.

I found the document by using the MSN search engine and typing in 'Gustrow prisoner' about five pages in there was a heading called 'chapter 3'.

Doug