Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA - help

LSH

Hi

This is the regiment number for Henry William Higgs a Driver in the RFA. L/46678

I know that he received the British War Medal and Victory Medal from his Medal Card and the Medal Roll, but that is all the information that was recorded. It doesn't appear that his service records survived.

Can anybody help me with:

1. What does the L stand for?

2. Will the regiment number be able to reveal which brigade he was in?

3. Approx date he enlisted.

Thanks so much

It means 'locally enlisted' and there are a series of RFA bdes. that carry this prefix in their numbering sequences. Try using the search facility on the forum, we've encountered the 'l' prefix before.

There certainly ARE ways of connecting service number to bde., the RFA numbering thread is a recurrent theme on the forum (try search again) and you should look at the article on TF re-numbering on the long long trail.

It means 'locally enlisted' and there are a series of RFA bdes. that carry this prefix in their numbering sequences. Try using the search facility on the forum, we've encountered the 'l' prefix before.

There certainly ARE ways of connecting service number to bde., the RFA numbering thread is a recurrent theme on the forum (try search again) and you should look at the article on TF re-numbering on the long long trail.

Hi all, thanks so much for the help so far.

Apologies for my lack of understanding here but why is the TF re-numbering of interest to me? The fact that Henry Higgs had a L prefix would appear to suggest that he wasn't in the Territorial force.

Given that he lived in Stanwell Middx, I assume that he would have enlisted in one of the London brigades, possibly Fulham or Wimbledon?

I have searched through the forum, but couldn't locate any reference that connected service number to bde. Does anyone have access to this type of information, please?

This is not a TF number so it cannot be tied to any particular brigade by that means.

However, there is a likelyhood that he was with the 33rd or 41st Divisional Artillery but dont quote me.

Roop

This is not a TF number so it cannot be tied to any particular brigade by that means.

However, there is a likelyhood that he was with the 33rd or 41st Divisional Artillery but dont quote me.

Roop

Hi Roop, thanks for confirming my understanding about it not being a TF number. Yes, I believe that the 33rd or 41st divisional are the most likely too.

Kind regards

You need a look at the medal rolls at Kew which may?? have more information especially if read as a group rather than an individual record.

Roop

Sorry, sorry - L prefix obv. not TF but contra. Hartley there are ways of connecting service nos. to

RFA bdes. in some cases, but not yours. I'll get me coat....