Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The somme

Guest grantaloch

Have you guys caught my increasingly unsubtle hint yet?

Andy M

Yes, we already had Andy. Its just that some of us disagree with you. That's permitted isn't it? If you found it an horrendous read - so be it. :D

For me: A first class book that, while definative, is perhaps the best analytical study of this battle that covers the development, conduct and aftermath of the battle from the strategic, operational and tactical levels. It is balanced in its assessments of Commanders, giving credit where credit is due and criticism where it is deserved. Provides some interesting insights into varying tactical developments and destroys the myth that Tommy just climbed out of the trenches at Zero Hour and walked to their deaths all across the front - p 115. Well written, easy to follow and a delight to read.

However, its not one for those who prefer straight narrative or their books laced with personal accounts.

Regards

Hi Chris,

Keep well over there. You guys are in our thoughts. Give your Diggers our best wishes.

Best Wishes

Crunchy

Upon reflection, I have to conclude that, even approaching this book from the point of a vigorous Haig supporter/apologist, I can't disagree with P&W for putting the responsibility on Haig & Rawlinson that they do for the disasters. At the very least P&W mount a coherent argument (whether it's correct or not is your decision) for WHY H&R should should be made to carry the blame where it is due them.

One thing that seems consistent to me between this and their volume on Passchendaele is their belief that they went on because the Government of the day let them, or at the very least failed to get them to stop. That if Haig and /or Rawlinson had lost or abrogated control of the battle, so too had the Government.

I wonder how things would have turned out had Kitchener been alive. Perhaps he would have had at least some influence with or on Haig (or at least been able to bank on his status as a more senior/fellow General Officer) and been sufficiently aghast at the wrecking of his beautiful instrument (the Kitchener armies) that he might have been able to get both Haig and Rawlinson to step back and take the tighter grip on the campaign that P&W believed was necessary. At least Haig would have respected his status.

Hello,

I have not looked at this part of the forum before. By coincidence I am, at present, about halfway through P & W's Somme. I find it fascinating, in particular the interplay between H and R. My opinion on the conduct of the war on the Western Front seems to get closer to John Terraine's. If I recall something like - the generals found themselves in a situation that none had envisaged, all things considered they did quite well (my apologies if that is wide of the mark). I guess the difficult exercise today is to try and put oneself in the mind of officers that some authors have dubbed as 'Victorians' with a very different approach and deference to authority.

Old Tom