Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

looking for Ernest Neale

geoff4

:) First I would like to say a BIG thankyou to all the people who helped me on my quest for information on the soldiers of Fletching, without your help it would have been harder to find these men, now, on to my next request, :) I looking for Ernest Neale all I know about him is that he was Born 1st Feb 1885 in Fletching, then he dos not show on the 1901 census. But sometime in the war he is home on leave because Fletching schoolmaster writes in his letters ;Ernest Neale came by today in his R.F.C. uniform with three strips on his arm. Then the next bit information (which took a long time to find)

is on his grave stone which as on it ...In Loving Memory of Ernest Neale who Died May 22nd 1920 Age 35, all I need to do is find what service was he in what happend to him after the war, he is the only one on Fletching war memorial to live to 1920 the rest Died during the war. the memorial was undveiled in 1921 any help in this matter would be most helpful :)

Geoff

The 1891 census shows 6 year old Ernest Neale to be the son of James and Esther Neale, aged 40 and 38 respectively, and living at Whites Cottage, Fletching, along with siblings Emily (14), Kate (13) and Frederick (9). James was born in Chailey (?), the rest in Fletching.

I think Ernest has been mis-transcribed in the index for the 1901 census as "Reale". If you search under this name, you should find him.

Ernest's death was recorded in the June quarter of 1920 in Uckbridge.

His death is recorded in Volume 2b, Page 153, and if you wish, you can use these details to get a copy of his death certificate from www.gro.gov.uk for £7

Geoff

The 1891 census shows 6 year old Ernest Neale to be the son of James and Esther Neale, aged 40 and 38 respectively, and living at Whites Cottage, Fletching, along with siblings Emily (14), Kate (13) and Frederick (9). James was born in Chailey (?), the rest in Fletching.

I think Ernest has been mis-transcribed in the index for the 1901 census as "Reale". If you search under this name, you should find him.

Ernest's death was recorded in the June quarter of 1920 in Uckbridge.

His death is recorded in Volume 2b, Page 153, and if you wish, you can use these details to get a copy of his death certificate from www.gro.gov.uk for £7

:) I would like to say a big Thank you for this informaion, I will post how I get on.