Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guards Mounted Machine Gun Section

mmm45

Hi

Can someone give me some info on the Guards Mounted Machine Gun Section.I was searching through my local Roll of Honour and came upon Lcpl 1115 KEANE MM KIA 1/4/18 .

Thanks

Ady

Here is an October 1962 taped interview of Brig.-Gen Raymond Brutinel ... Borden Battery

Tape C.8 The Horse Guards and 1CMMGB

I personally proceeded to Montreuil and reported to General Dill.

According to him, the situation on the front was extremely confused and only partial information percolated through. It was impossible at that time to plot the situation on a map.

Lack of sleep and anxiety were evident everywhere and a degree of uncertainty could be felt.

I found General Dill calm and collected.

He said that as far as he knew, most, if not all, the Machine Gun Units of the 5th Army had been destroyed, and the Germans had advanced as far as our heavy artillery lines. The casualties suffered were not known but were believed to be extremely high. The disorganisation of whatever was left of the Formations engaged in the 5th Army front could hardly be described.

General Dill gave me as a first task, to see Brigadier General Lucas, in charge of Machine Guns at B.G.H.Q. Brigadier Lucas and his Staff Officer were quite unable to give any intelligent information and they were so dead tired and groggy that I suggested that they should leave everything as it stood and go to sleep. I would see them again when rested.

Considering the lack of useful information, I returned to see General Dill and suggested that in the meantime I should enquire regarding the supply of machine guns, equipment and transport.

I found that the supplies of machine gun equipment and transport were ample enough but could not be issued without special orders from the War Office as they were ear-marked to equip the American Divisions, expected shortly.

In view of the fact that no Americans were at hand, I suggested that steps should be taken to permit the issue of these supplies according to the demands.

With the approval of Sir Arthur, I advised General Dill that the Canadian Corps, having decided to increase by one third the number of its machine guns, and the Canadian Government having given its agreement, I would take advantage of my presence at British G.H.Q. to hasten the deliveries. To this General Dill readily agreed, and his intervention with the "Services" interested were greatly appreciated.

We also discussed the possibilities of obtaining for the Machine Gun Units even untrained men to help their reorganisations.

Unfortunately, all Services consulted represented that their establishments were taxed to the utmost and they could not contribute any men.

We had to adjourn our fruitless discussion.

I remained in constant touch with General Dill and it was with deep anxiety that we plotted the news of the front as they dribbled in.

Towards the evening, I suggested that the Horse Guards might be quickly trained as Machine Gunners and be made available for service at the front.

General Dill did not think that anyone in British Headquarters would feel free to make such a suggestion. I insisted, stating that obviously nobody here had appraised properly the character of the King. My knowledge of His Majesty was very slight, it being confined to an experience of a few days when, in 1916, I had been in charge of His security during His stay in the 2nd Army area. But an incident which had happened then, had given me a glimpse of the character of His Majesty. I therefore felt confident that if the appeal was made it would not be dismissed lightly.

General Dill decided that he would talk the matter over with other members of the General Staff and he would be guided by their reactions to the suggestion.

Within a few hours somebody spoke to the War Office, who passed on the suggestion. It was eventually communicated to the King, who, without hesitation, simply said, "The Horse Guards will be ready to leave tomorrow."

I met the Horse Guard Battalions at Boulogne upon their arrival and arranged with the Machine Gun Schools to give them abridged Machine Gun Courses to fit these splendid men for their new duties.

Lucas and his Staff Officer, being now rested, we discussed the question of their equipment with machine guns and transport by lorries. We also sketched projects for the reorganisation of the 5th Army Machine Gun Units if and when?

Interesting... now Brutinel implicitly takes the credit for the formation of the Guards Machine Gun Regiment !