Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deciphering R.F.A. mic

PhilN

From his first number 876587 your man was originally in either 270 (later 272) or 345 Brigade TF RFA. These were the 1/1 and 2/1 East Anglian Brigades. the latter being broken up in 1916.

His second number would suggest possibly being in a reserve brigade and he was reposted to another unit.

He went to France after January 1916 unless he has additional MIC's and was awarded the British War and Victory Medals.

Roop

Thanks

At the moment thats the only info I have, I don't know of any other mic's, the one I posted i got from the NA, I do have his War medal and other ribbons and a postcard from Woolwich record office stating the forwarding of British War & Victory medals, really appreciate the help.

Phil

That sounds just right then Phil

CCLXX Territorial Force 1st Line East Anglian Division from pre-war. Brigade did not move with Division to Gallipoli in 1915, but rejoined it in Egypt in February 1916. Re-armed with modern equipment in England. Redesignated from I East Anglian in May 1915, and redesignated CCLXXII December 1916 (LLT)

CCLXXII (H) Territorial Force 1st Line East Anglian Division from pre-war until broken up in December 1916. Brigade did not move with Division to Gallipoli in 1915, but rejoined it in Egypt in February 1916. Re-armed with modern equipment in England. Redesignated from III East Anglian in May 1915. (LLT)

No references to 335 brigade and no war diary at the NA, possibly UK based.

Roop