Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who wants some fun with a great group photo?

steve fuller

I absolutely love this photo - was given it recently & have spent hours pulling it apart for ranks, regiments, etc etc

The gent top right of the back row is Cpt Andrew Best McBride, MC, 7th Beds. The photo is reputed to have been taken in April 1918.

Can anyone add anything about the location, the sign, or especially who any of the others are? Id Especially love to know who the cheeky Scottish Major is in the middle of the bottom row is!! Looks like a character!!

post-1637-1140799758.jpg

Noticed 7 Jock officers in the line up, and your cheeky major looks like a Royal Scots Fusilier and the one on his right a Royal Scot.

Cracking photo.

Rob

What a great photo!!

I can't add anything, but so many of the individuals do not seem to be taking the photo. seriously.

A wild guess - could they be actor types!!

Dave

Thanks guys. Glad others like it as much as I do!! Most of their expressions are excellent!

They are mostly captains, with a sprinkling of Lt's & the cheeky Scottish Major of course. I suspect they were assembled for a training course of some kind but cant work out where they are unfortunately. Theres also a couple of ribbons dotted about, making them quite an esteemed group in all!

As far as I know, Cpt McBride wasnt an actor, but I know little detail about him other than what is listed in the war diaries & Regtl texts, so cant really say either way on that thought Dave. Would love to know though ...

• 1 month later...

There appear to be signs behind them at both left and right of the photo. Can you make out anything on them? I think I see John Cleese in there...

Steve,

Photo was taken by R. Guilleminot of Paris and is the Headquarters of IV Army Infantry School, Nesle and taken sometime after January 1917. Behind the group to the right of the entrance used to be a board marked "Orderly Room" with and arrow pointing to the right. On the left hand side was another board marked "Lecture Hall", with the arrow pointing directly into the building.

The Posters to the left of the group used to say;- "Vent Aux Encheres" and below that "Chevaux Reformes", but I'm afaid I don't speak French so haven't a clue what it means.

Graham.

vente aux encheres

chevaux reformes

public auction of "discharged" (*) horses.

(*) declared unfit

eric

Lovely photo - there appears to be an OR in there, next to the Argylls officer, standing on the far left of the photo.

What a great photo!!

I can't add anything, but so many of the individuals do not seem to be taking the photo. seriously.

A wild guess - could they be actor types!!

Dave

Back row 2nd from the left is surely John Cleese!!!

Bob

Back row 2nd from the left is surely John Cleese!!!

Bob

I thought so, too. not a colonel yet....lol

Thanks very very much Pals. Thanks Grahem & Eric - great evidence ...

I wondered if they were a collection of MC winners or something but a school makes more sense. :D