Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stapleford airfield

Patrick H

I know that Stapleford air field (near Romford Essex) was used as a fighter base during WW2 but do any of our flying chaps have any information on its use during WW1 (if any) I live only a couple of miles away and my ancestors worked the farm opposite. Would like to know something of the airfield during the Great War

Patrick

Patrick

Stapleford Tawney Airfield was opened in 1934 as a private airfield. In 1938 it was taken over by the Air Ministry and No21 Elementary and Reserve flying training school was established there.

For its history thereafter see:

http://www.ukcoldwar.org.uk/stableford-abbotts.htm

Dave

Patrick

Stapleford Tawney Airfield was opened in 1934 as a private airfield. In 1938 it was taken over by the Air Ministry and No21 Elementary and Reserve flying training school was established there.

For its history thereafter see:

http://www.ukcoldwar.org.uk/stableford-abbotts.htm

Dave

Dave thanks for the reply however disappointing? I was hoping for some 1WW interest but clearly not.

Patrick

Patrick

Did you know that Hornchurch aerodrome was called Sutton's Farm Aerodrome in WW1?

First used in 1915, by 1918 it was a fully fledged RAF airfield. Best book on the subject is 'Raiders Approach' by Sqdron Leader H T Sutton published in 1956.

Gunner Bailey

Yes Gunner I did know that but thanks anyway. The site of the Hornchurch Aerodrome is now part housing estate and part Country park

Patrick

Patrick

Arthur Banks' Atlas of the First World War states that in 1918 Essex airfields were:

North Weald

Hainault Farm - later Fairlop

Sutton's Farm

Rochford

Stow Maries

Goldhanger

At that time all equiped with Camels - no mention of Stapleford.

Hope that this helps

Andy

(who used to walk to school across Fairlop plain)

Andy thanks for that. I think that Daves post 2 above makes it conclusive that Stapleford didnt open till the 30s.

As for Fairlop I know it well. Used to go to school in Hainault, played football in the playing fields at Forest Road. I see you are in Brentwood now, I went to school there as well!

Patrick

Patrick

Daughter still does go to school in Brentwood. Also my old headmaster used to live in Theydon (flew Mossies during WW2).

BTW went to school in Barkingside (up Fremantle Road), lived in Newbury Park.

Graham Smith's 'Essex airfields in the 2nd WW' ISBN 1-85306-405-X is worth the price.

Kind Rgds

Andy

Hi Andy,

I went to school in Brentwood (Hedley Walter) Who was the Headmaster who lived in Theydon?

Regards

Patrick