Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorks Casualty

mmm45

Hi

My local war memorial has the name E GOULD on it i cant find any details can someone with SDGW please do a trace and see if there is any link to Cleckheaton or West Yorkshire on the data base.

Thanks

Ady

Ady

I haven't got SDGW but using the index on the Naval and Military Press website there appears to be only one possibility with a Yorkshire link:

Edward Gould, Place of Birth = Hull.

I'm sure someone with access to SDGW will give you the full details.

Regards

Steve

Ady

SDGW has 12 soldiers with the name E Gould, none of which have an obvious link to the Cleckheaton area. This includes the one identified by Steve:

11/1164 Pte Edward Gould, 11th Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment

Born & Enlisted at Hull

KIA on 12/4/18 - France & Flanders

Supplementary notes: M.M.

Regards

Mark

Just something that might be worth mentioning.

A lot of men returned to their place of birth to enlist, even when it makes no sense. For example some men in the northen part of the United States worked their passage home on British ships, had a few days with their relatives and then enlisted. It would have been a lot simpler and cheaper to have caught a train across the border into Canada and enlisted there. And they would have received much higher pay as well.

The point being that a man travelling to his place of birth to enlist is common enough not to be anything unusual.

Tony.