Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Josh(ua) Johnson

Andrew Hesketh

I've recently come across this chap who hailed from Tibshelf, Derbyshire or nearby. According to Crystal Palace's website he was nicknamed 'Joe', played 295 games and it says that the war brought an end to his career. It doesn't say any more, but I assume he signed up in 1915. He's not a fatality and the name kicks up 11 MIC's.

Any Eagle's fans able to help me pin him down?

No, the site says the war brought an end to his Crystal Palace career. He played for Nottingham Forest from 1919 to 1920. Before the war, he had played for Aston Villa in 1905. At some point he also played for Plymouth Argyle. At a guess, 1920 saw his retirement as a player.

andrew,i found one similar,all it said in the paper was,dickie bond who played for preston north end and bradford city is missing,dont know if he died or survived,bernard

He played for Nottingham Forest from 1919 to 1920.

I should have known that really!! Thanks Clive.

Bernard - I'm wondering, do you know if the FA kept any kind of Roll of Honour?

I have found a couple of dozen football and rugby players, like this chap who is probably known to some.

Name: TURNBULL, ALEXANDER (SANDY)

Regiment: East Surrey Regiment

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/05/1917

Service No: 28427

Additional Information: Son of James and Jessie Turnbull, of I, Gibson St., Kilmarnock, Ayrshire; husband of Florence Amy Turnbull, of 17, Portland Rd., Gorse Hill, Stretford, Manchester. A Professional Footballer (won FA Cup medals pre-war with Manchester City and United).

Casuality Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: ARRAS MEMORIAL

I've e-mailed the National Football Museum regarding a roll of honour. When / if I get a response I'll let you all know.

Reply received, but I've tacked it onto the 'Footballer's Died' thread as it seemed more appropriate.