Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sargent Edward Keaney Salonika

johno

Hi everyone

I am hitting a brick wall here. My grandfather Edward Keaney fought in the 185 Heavy Battery in Salonika. Tried to trace the battery, division, and army he was in and in what part of Salonika he fought but confusedas there seems no mention of the 185th. Also as he was from County Leitrum what part of the army might he have enlisted in.

Hope someone can help Brian

brian,the citation for his military medal may have been published in the london gazette,he was sgt 36729 edward keaney,RGA,which is what you already have,bernard

Brian,

I guess only his service record would show in which unit he enlisted. Have you seen his medal index card? It shows his rank as both Bombadier and Sargeant in the RGA. There is also another card for an Edward Keaney, a gunner in the RFA - different number, so I've no way of knowing if this was also your grandfather.

Ian

[ Ian

He is definatly Sargeant Edward Keaney born Leitrum Ireland., I supose his unit depends on wether he was a volunteer or full time army at the outbreak of war. He was in the 185th Hy, By. According to the gazette. That puts him in the 79 battery, 4th army. 17th division. However no trace of that unit in records in Salonika or am I looking in the wrong places/

Brian

quote name=ian turner' date='Feb 24 2006, 09:42 AM' post='406786]

Brian,

I guess only his service record would show in which unit he enlisted. Have you seen his medal index card? It shows his rank as both Bombadier and Sargeant in the RGA. There is also another card for an Edward Keaney, a gunner in the RFA - different number, so I've no way of knowing if this was also your grandfather.

Ian

Brian

Yes, he ended up as sergeant, but would have started life in the army as (the RA equivalent of) a private. That (I think) is a gunner, hence I suggest it would be worth checking further under the MIC for Gunner Edward Keaney, RFA. That may have been his first unit upon joining, and then later transferred to the RGA, and given a different number. You can see his MIC as both Bomardier and Sergeant in the RGA.

Ian