Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Admissions of mistaken decisions

withcall

I've just been re-reading 'Personal Memoirs' by Ulysses S. Grant. At the end of ch. 55 he writes, " I have always regretted that the last assault at Cold Harbor was ever made." (Grant ordered a disastrous early morning attack on Confederate positions - huge losses, no ground gained) Bearing in mind that Grant was something of a one-off (twice elected President, immeasurably brave and honest - he completed his memoirs with only days to live in order to provide a financial safeguard for his family) does anyone know of a Great War general making such an honest reappraisal of a decision he had made?

I think his mistake (Grant's) was not properly reconnoitering his left flank, (Lee's right) to turn it in the race to Richmond. If the staff work had been a little tighter, that could have been done.

The Yanks actually broke the confed line at Cold Harbor, but, like WWI, failed to exploit the break and thus turn the battle. Poor, little, late or no comm as usual. C-3 or C-4 (however you want it) wins battles and wars.

Any takers for WWI admissions from the gods in khaki?

DrB

:)