Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Kings - James O'HARA

n3ttl3

Hello all, I'm a newcomer to this forum, hope I don't ask too many stupid questions. :unsure:

I have been trying to trace my grandad James O'Hara. Apparently he was a volunteer for the 7th Kings (that's about all my mum can tell me about his military career) before the start of the first world war, and was still in the army after the end of the war. He died in 1957.

I have tried the national archives website and downloaded medal cards for a few James O'hara's but none of them appear to be Grandad. He lived in Bootle, Lancashire (now Merseyside). If anyone wants a copy of the medal cards I have downloaded, let me know and I will pass them on.

The story goes that he smacked an officer to get discharged! However, I would think that he would have been court martialled rather than just kicked out. He was a sergeant, but surely if he was discharged dishonourably, he would be demoted to that of private? Can anyone help? apparently my brother (unfortunately also now deceased) had his medals - but lost them (grr) Here's hoping

Hello,

I am almost certain that the following man is your grandad:

Cpl James O'Hara 1/7 Kings (Liverpool) Regt No 2254/265524 (he was renumbered from a 4 to a 6 figure number in early 1917). Enlisted 12/8/14 and crossed to France 7/3/15 with his Battalion. That's all I have and not much I'm afraid. Are you able to add anything else about him? Do you have a photo?

Promenade

Hello,

I am almost certain that the following man is your grandad:

Cpl James O'Hara 1/7 Kings (Liverpool) Regt No 2254/265524 (he was renumbered from a 4 to a 6 figure number in early 1917). Enlisted 12/8/14 and crossed to France 7/3/15 with his Battalion. That's all I have and not much I'm afraid. Are you able to add anything else about him? Do you have a photo?

Promenade

Wow! that's brilliant! I have a photo of him, but it was taken in the 1950's. I will ask my mum if she has any old photos of her dad. If that is my grandad's serial number I do have at least part of his record card after all! I know he was a shoemaker by trade (also a whitesmith) and could just about play any instrument under the sun! Will do my best to find out more. Thank you so much Promenade!

n3ttl3

Now there is a familiar name, thought it was you :)

Welcome to the forum

I have the same problem finding some of mine with common surnames but looks as if Promenade has found yours - as he also found information on some of mine

I ordered copies of documents yesterday from the NA for I thought one of my gt uncles J Carney (also from Bootle of course, only the best people...) and they turned out not to be him but the NA didn't charge me but I know it is different with MIC's if they are the wrong 'uns

Hope you like it here, sure you will. You'll have loads of help

Caryl

n3ttl3

Now there is a familiar name, thought it was you :)

Welcome to the forum

I have the same problem finding some of mine with common surnames but looks as if Promenade has found yours - as he also found information on some of mine

I ordered copies of documents yesterday from the NA for I thought one of my gt uncles J Carney (also from Bootle of course, only the best people...) and they turned out not to be him but the NA didn't charge me but I know it is different with MIC's if they are the wrong 'uns

Hope you like it here, sure you will. You'll have loads of help

Caryl

Hi Caryl, thanks for the welcome. I'm just overawed with the amount of knowlege and generousity folk on these forums have! Where abouts in Bootle are you or your ancestors from? I'm from up by the Giro, (but well before the giro was built) but family from down Marsh Lane, Bootle village etc. I have been shown a lamp-post at the back of the Strand where our prefab was! :D