Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Bloody Decks!"

Broznitsky

Found an interesting story about the Newfoundland Regiment yelling "Bloody Decks!" as they went over the top at the Somme and possibly Gallipoli and other battles.

Have any Pals found any other "battle" cheers that particular units employed to inspire the men?

(Apparently the phrase comes from the sealing fishery, where "Bloody decks, good hunt, good kill!" was a cheer/toast used by Newfoundlanders. I guess the German machine gunners at Beaumont Hamel used the phrase in reverse! :( )

Peter (on course in Ottawa)

At W Beach Gallipoli, in April 1915, Capt R.R."Walking Stick" Willis VC is remembered by one of his men as shouting "Come on 'C' company! Remember Minden!"

Geoffrey Moorehouse explains in "Hell's Foundations" that in August 1759 at Minden on the river Weser the French [c.51000] faced the combined British and Prussian forces [c.40000]. After a misunderstanding about orders some 6000 British including the XXth Foot (later the Lancashire Fusiliers) marched off to face 3 lines of French cavalry who were supported by 60 heavy guns.

Charge after charge by the French cavalry was beaten back while the British also suffered from the French guns. Eventually the French gave way and their commander, Marshal Contades acknowledged "I never thought to see a single line of infantry break through three lines of cavalry ranked in order of battle and tumble them to ruin."

In August 1915 at Suvla, also on Gallipoli, the CO of the 1/5th Norfolks Col Sir H. G. Beauchamp is recorded as encouraging his men with

"...on the Norfolks, come on my Holy Boys, forward the Hungry Ninth."

Perhaps a Norfolks expert could fill in the explanation for us?

regards

Michael D.R.

Not really a battle cheer, but a Fijian War Cry, as used (perhaps) by the 1st Fijian Contingent- all Europeans!

Na Meke Ni Valu

War Cry of the 1st Contingent

Na cava na ka / What is it

Tou na qara / that we seek?

(Chorus; Na Dra) / (Chorus: Blood)

Sa lako ko Viti / Fiji is going

Ki na kena magiti / to its great feast,

Tou a cici / there let us hasten

Tagi !!!! / Mourn !!!!

The funny thing is that the Fiji Labour corps does not appear to have had any similar chant!

NB pronunciation;c = th, q = ngg, g =ng, d = nd

Blame the English missionaries for the spelling!

And the Ulstermen oppposite the Pope's Nose July 1, 1916 went over the top saying very rude things about the Pope! So rude that if I typed it it would come out as stars!

I have read accounts of some of the first US contingents shouting things along the lines of "Lusitania!" and "Lafayette, we're here! ".

Dave.