Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.E. Wireless units

stu

Can anyone please help me,I'am trying find out more about R.E. wireless units,I have looked on the mother site but unfortunately it does'nt have much about them.

I would like to know about their composition and activties,I have in my possession a diary written by a Sapper in a wireless section,in it he writes about moving between YY and YJ and YT,I assume these are wireless stations of some description,is this correct.

How close to the front line were they stationed,he writes on the 11/4/17 that they were in the old German front line near Arras,there is also numerous mentions that the aerial had been shot down,on one occassion whilst he was adjusting it.He mentions also that they were subjected to heavy bombardment and that their dugout was partially blown in.

There is a couple of mentions that he was returning to the Batt,would they have been attatched to an R.A. battery or even a battalion H.Q.

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers.

Stu

Like many other signal units of the Royal Engineers, the wireless units were designed as interchangeable 'modules'. That is, 'sections' (whether cable, air-line or wireless) were autonomous units that could be easily moved from one 'company headquarters' to another.

At the start of the war, there were

11 company headquarters

6 for divisions

1 in South Africa

2 for the 'armies' of the Expeditionary Force

1 for the Lines of Communication of the Expeditionary Force

1 for the GHQ of the Expeditionary Force

16 sections

10 cable sections

5 airline sections

1 wireless section

As new formations were formed, the number of companies and sections increased considerably, but the principle of modularity remained in force.

Late in 1915, a wireless company was formed. Located at GHQ, it served as the 'mother church' of wireless communications within the Expeditionary Force as well as a 'point of attachment' for wireless sections working for GHQ. That is to say, while some wireless sections would be assigned to the wireless company, all wireless sections on the Western Front got technical assistance, spare parts, and the like from the wireless company.

A quick search of the computer catalogue of the British National Archives (the old PRO) shows lots of wireless stations with three digit numbers in their titles. With this in mind, I suspect that the 'two letter' designations refer to 'wireless sections' rather than 'wireless stations'.

Stu,

As you may know, Arthur Halestrap, one of the last ww1 veterans, was a wireless operator in the signal coy of the RE. (46th div)

Who wrote your diary?

Can you put some details on the forum?

Cheers

Nilis

Stu

I have a list of many of the Wireless sections and sub-sections and which formations they were attached to, although it is not comprehensive.

For details of the composition of Wireless units and their equipment , you should consult The Work of the Royal Engineers in the European War - Signal Service (France). RE Priestley; W & J Mackay and Co, Chatham, 1921.

Terry Reeves

Nilis,

The diary was written by Sapper T.H. Reavey.

The diary begins in Jan 1917 and finishes with him in hospital in Nov 1917,although most are brief,there are entries for most days upto June,then the entries are very sporadic.

He appeared to have served mostly around Arras during the battle,and then at numerous other places until September when he moved to the Salient and stayed in the area until October,then he moved to Nieuport at the end of the month,he finishes the diary saying he was admitted to hospital on the 2/11/17 and then moved to the U.K. on the 10/11/17,unfortunately he doesn't say if it was due to wounds or sickness.

I checked the CWGC site and he appeared to have survived the war,and I got his MIC from the N.A. site and there is no mention of a SWB either,so he probably returned to duty at sometime.

If you want any look ups done please let me know.

Cheers.

Stu

Terry,

Many thanks for your reply.

Sapper Reavey never actually mentioned what unit he was in,but he does mention a station in 4th corps at Havrincourt Wood on the 30/7/17,and 5th corps in Poperinghe on 12/9/17 and 18th corps at St Julien on 10/10/17.

Cheers.

Stu

Stu,

I would appreciate a check as to whether 71127 Sapper Herbert Beeby appears at all. A very long shot, but nothing ventured....

Steve.

Here are three websites from the CEF Study Group's Recommended List of Great War websites -

Military Communications and Electronics Museum

The First World War saw the development of spark wireless, buried telephone cable and message rockets, in addition to motorcyclist dispatch riders, messenger dogs, carrier pigeons, and the old reliable lamp and flags.

http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/hist_e1.htm

Canadian Signalling Corps

When war broke out, the 10 officers, eight attached officers and 276 men of the Canadian Signal Corps were attached to the Canadian Engineers for discipline and administration.

http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/chap3_e1.htm

Divisional Signal Company Royal Engineers Feb 2006

This website provides general information and photographs of British signallers with specific attention to the50th (Northumbrian) Divisional Signal Company Royal Engineers.

http://www.fairmile.fsbusiness.co.uk/signals.htm

Borden Battery

I have a reference to a paper (but don't have the paper!)

Development in Army Wireless during the War

by lT Col A.G.T. Cusins RE in Journal IEE, July 1921

This scan from a book I have may be of interest, showing a network on 1/7/1916

somme-wt.jpg

Another item of interest may be

W./T., R.E. By Capt. B.F.J. Schonland OBE RE in Wireless Worlj, July, Aug, Oct, Nov, 1919

Don't know where the archive is for this, but looks worth getting being in 4 parts.

(Typo in first post shoul be Lt. Col. A.G.T. Cusins, R.E.)

Cheers,

Stu,

Prior to the war it seems that the R.E. only had one wireless unit i.e. 'E' Signal Coy(Wireless),R.E., which was temporarily based at Aldershot. The remainder of the wireless units being provided by the T.F., which were;-

The London Wireless Signal Company - Palmer St, Westminster, S.W.

The Northern Wireless Signal Company - Leeds.

The Scottish Wireless Signal Company - 21 Jardine St, Glasgow.

The Southern Wireless Signal Company - The Barracks, Great Brook St, Birmingham.

The Western Wireless Signal Company - 38 Mason St, Edge Hill, Liverpool.

They were Army Troop units and Command based units rather than attached to divisions. The Commands being;-

London District.

Northern Command.

Scottish Command.

Southern Command.

Western Command.

I'm not sure if the title "Wireless" went into abeyance during the war, as in my 1918 British Army Order of Battle book only two wireless units are mentioned;-

No.7 Light Motor Set Wireless Section.

No.8 Light Motor Set Wireless Section.

Graham.

Stu,

I would appreciate a check as to whether 71127 Sapper Herbert Beeby appears at all. A very long shot, but nothing ventured....

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay in my reply,there is no mention of Sapper Beeby in the diary.

Regards.

Stu

Many thanks to everyone for your replies,the links to excellent web sites and excellent diagrames.

Does anyone know if the wireless guys worked nearer to the front line,in the diary Sapper Reavey mentions that he spent time in an O.P. and he frequently mentions being at Batt H.Q.(his words),did he mean a battalion H.Q. or a battery H.Q.,can anyone help with this.

Many thanks.

Stu

I know of one example of a wireless unit that went forward with an infantry attack.

Batt HQ would refer to Battalion HQ. Individual batteries did not have HQs as such.

Robert

Thanks, Stu.

The search continues. Turn over every stone...

Steve.

Many thanks to everyone for your replies,the links to excellent web sites and excellent diagrames.

Does anyone know if the wireless guys worked nearer to the front line,in the diary Sapper Reavey mentions that he spent time in an O.P. and he frequently mentions being at Batt H.Q.(his words),did he mean a battalion H.Q. or a battery H.Q.,can anyone help with this.

Many thanks.

Stu

The second diagram I posted indicated that power buzzers were used near the front. I would guess they being more portable and probably dangerous to try to erect antenna for radio systems withou getting snipers attention. The two papers may tell, I'm now curious what is in the two papers referenced, published so soon, are there no secrets, perhaps no one ever expected another war after this one. There are other remarks in the book about 2-way radio on aircraft used with artillery to locate enemy gun positions and assist gun laying. I'll look it up think it references another paper, not by a RE chap.

Hi Geoff,

Sorry for the delay in my reply,many thanks for the info.

Cheers.

Stu

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the delay,thanks for that.

Cheers.

Stu

Evening Stu,

I don't know if you've been here before but this Marconi site has some good pictures of WW1 radio equipment.

http://www.marconicalling.com/html/index.html

Regards

Martyn