Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bacon's DOVER PATROL

kin47

Hello

Does anyone have a copy of Bacon's DOVER PATROL, either the "concise" one volume book or the earlier published multi volume set? I am interested if it details operations by naming involved ships and officers or is it just a sweeping overview?

Thanks in advance.

All best

don

Thanks Charles for the input. I wanted someone's input being purchasing a copy.

All best

don

Don,

Bacon describes some sections of the book to be to detailed and technical for the average reader and recomends they skip it. You will enjoy it, and nice detailed diagrams.

Regards Charles

Don totally irrelevant to you but in the 1960,s I had a schoolfriend who had a boxed edition of a game called "Dover Patrol". As far as i remember it seemed to date from the 1930,s and featured, in red ink the name in large letters and a picture of a WW1 destroyer at full speed presumably tearing out of Dover harbour. Sadly I cannot recall what the game was and how it was played except I seem to recall a board and the usual throwing of a dice for movement. There we are...trivia of the day! Cheers SG

zooloo as Leslie Phillips would say. Lummee must have been blue! Must have been the early edition as I remember ships which I thought was a destryoyer. i dont think the Dover Patrol ever ran to cruisers or battleships did it? Thanks for the link, interesting it lingered on into the 1970s. SG

I am interested if it details operations by naming involved ships and officers or is it just a sweeping overview?

Thanks in advance.

All best

don

Don, I have the two vol set. Lots of named ships and a detailed history with a good index. A quick look through suggests it's not focussed on individuals/officers.If you want me to check the index for a particular ship(s) before you buy then please ask. Regards Tim

Don totally irrelevant to you but in the 1960,s I had a schoolfriend who had a boxed edition of a game called "Dover Patrol". As far as i remember it seemed to date from the 1930,s and featured, in red ink the name in large letters and a picture of a WW1 destroyer at full speed presumably tearing out of Dover harbour. Sadly I cannot recall what the game was and how it was played except I seem to recall a board and the usual throwing of a dice for movement. There we are...trivia of the day! Cheers SG

I've still got the game!!

Hello. I'm new to the Forum, literally today, and logged in with the intention of opening my account by posting a question about - Admiral Bacon. So it's a nice coincidence and fortuitous introduction to discover that you're already talking about him.

I have both the original 2-vol edition and the 1932 Concise Story of the Dover Patrol - which is a somewhat misleading description, because it actually contains everything in the original 2-vol edition plus new material (including a new supportive Foreword by Jellicoe) that Bacon felt impelled to add in order to correct what he perceived as misrepresentations in the Official History, and to answer what he considered unwarranted criticisms in writings published after The Dover Patrol. I'd be happy to look up specific operations, ships or officers.

I also spent many happy hours playing the Dover Patrol board game as a kid, long before I ever knew anything about Bacon. Along with 'trash mag' war comics, it was one of the things that first got me interested in military history.

The question I was meaning to ask - and which I should perhaps also post as a new topic - is whether anyone knows the whereabouts of Admiral Bacon's personal papers. I've been looking for them for some years (they aren't in any of the 'obvious places') and I'm running out of ideas as to where to look next.

Regards