Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment

Wamwig

Hi

Found a relation, Joseph Parker DoW 26/11/17, who was with the 7th Btn Bedfordshire Regiment and was wondering what they were doing at that time? He is buried at Artillery Wood Cemetery so I presume they were around Ypres. Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Anthony

Hi Anthony

The 7th battalion diary records:

26-11-17 On the evening and early morning of 25/26 the Battn relieved the Royal Fusiliers in the line as per Operation Orders No.182 (see App.II). The relief was complete at 12.30 am. No particular incident occurring. Front Line No particular incident to report during the day.

27-11-17 The Battn held the Front Line without incident.

28-11-17 The Battn held the Front Line without incident.

Before that they wer eproviding working parties in support so i suspect he was either caught by a German shell / sniper whilst the relief was taking place or he was wounded before, dying on the 26th at the CCS.

Interestingly, they moved "down the line" to Boezinghe on the 17th, so Im off to play with maps. Be back soon ...

Was just checking something but on balance I would suggest he was caught in the relief the night of 25/26th Anthony as they repelled an attack on the 15th but were moved south for a few days between 17th & 22nd. Other than that, there is nothing going on other than the usual artillery & sniper duels.

For info, they were right on the canal bank in Boezinghe by the way.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve

I guess the only way to be sure is to see the casualty returns, they should give names shouldnt they. Also had a look around and found there is a book on the 7th Battalion, The Shiny Seventh, published by Bedfordshire Archives, any idea if this is worth getting for a general picture of service etc.

Regards

Anthony

There is also a History of 54th Brigade available which will give you a good overview of the battalions action. (Republished by Naval & Miltary Press)

I don't have the Shiny Seventh so I can't comment on that one.

Steve.

Martin Deacon who wrote the Shiney Seventh works at the Bedford County Records Office, so you could email them & ask if he's mentioned. archive@bedscc.gov.uk

Alternatively, some forum members have the book, so post with the book title & someone may do a looksy for you perhaps. As I understand it, its essesntially an extended version of the diary with additional focus on a few people who's letters etc MArtin had access to. As a result, I have never bought a copy though, so thats just second had info, so may be completely wrong!

Steve and Steve

Thanks for the ideas, I shall have to think whats best, think its unlikely that a mere private will be mentioned but it may give a slightly wider idea of what they were doing around that time, and Amazon have it at a 30% discount it would appear.

Thanks again for all your help

Regards

Anthony

Hi All

If you have seen my earlier post you will know I have a relative that DoW on 27/11/17 serving with the 7th Btn Beds Reg, have seen there is a book about them available. Before I go out and get it does anybody know how well it covers the events of 27 Nov 17 and the time immeadiately before. Obviously dont want anyone to copy it here, just wondered if it was worth getting.

Thanks

Anthony

I have a copy of the book and i know the author, I will go and have a look at the date you refer to and get back to you in a little while,,,,,,,,,,

Julian

Anthony

from the book -Shiny Seventh,Bedfords, edited by Martin Deacon.

The battalion are in the Salient and have been since the end of July 1917.

The end of October and start of November they are training at Putney Camp and "Ondank" - Box Camp. The training continues until 10th November.

11-11-17 Bn moved into support , Baboon Camp, in support of the 11th Royal Fusiliers at Boezinghe.

13-11-17 into front line, with Sanctuary road right boundary and Faidherbe rd on left. The adjacent unit on the left was the French 43rd Regt.

15-11-17 Bosche deliver an attack on the junction of the 2 armies. They are repulsed with heavy losses. The French Colonel thanks the Bedfords for their dashing keenness in repelling the attack.

16-11-17 at Midnight Bn relieved by 6th Royal Berks. Gas shelling throughout the relief.

17-11-17 Bn moved by train back to Box Camp at Ondank. Rest and Refit. Sick attended to.

18/22-11-17 Training

23-11-17 Return to Canal Bank camp just behind line. Working parties.

25/6-11-17 Overnight 25th to 26th November the Bn relieved the Royal Fusiliers in the line. No particular incident of note.

27-11-17. Bn held the front line, no incident of note.

I hope that helps enough for you. Can you pin down by service record when your soldier is injured at all?

The 2 periods in November which seem likely are 15-11-17 when the germans attack, and the Gas shelling on the 16-11-17 . Your thoughts ?

Julian

Thanks for that, he died on 27 Nov 1917 so he could potentially have been wounded in either the actions on 15/16 or 25/26. Another relative DoW at a field hospital on the Somme nearly two weeks after being wounded at High Wood so I suppose it could really be either date, although I would think the relief on the night of 25/26 would be favourite. Guess I'll have to go to the NA to see if his records survived, oh well I've got several to look up now so at least I can make a day of it.

Thanks again, best regards

Anthony