Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did he reenlist with same regiment ?

liverpool annie

I am posting this for a lady who was having a problem registering!! - would appreciate any help !!

Name John Reynolds

dob established c 1881 as I have copy of his marriage cert. to Amy Darley Chapman Goodyear on 11/1/1913 At Leadenham Parish Church Lincs This also showed that his father was a shepherd called Thomas Reynolds.

I have John Reynolds medals from WW1 which gives his army No as 6021 and Army record shows his birth was registered in Oundle Northants and he was with the Lincolnshire Regiment in 1913 when he Re enlisted.

There is one John Reynolds born in the last quarter of 1881 in Thurning Oundle that I think is him and am awaiting a copy of that certificate( GRO vol 3B page 215) to establish his mothers name. The problem I have is finding him on a census! in 1901.... I think he may have been in the Boer war as I have his enlistment papers for 1913 showing that he re enlisted then . Do you know how I can find out from a medal roll what regiment he was with if this is so

Thanking you in advance

Annie

You would need to consult the Queen's South Africa Medal Rolls to confirm he was in the Boer War,but unless you have his Regiment it is going to be a hard slog,as there are no index cards like WW1,if you think he is likely to have been in the Lincolnshire Regiment,that would be the Roll to start with,it is likely if he was recalled from the Reserve in 1914,having left in 1913 that his number will have stayed the same.

• 2 weeks later...

There is the possibility that he may have served in the same regiment and had been a reservists prior to 1913. In which case he would have been either in the 2nd Bn Lincs or from one of the volunteer battalions which sent a company of men out to join the parent battalion.