Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's Royal West Surrey Man?

Deptfordboy

Hi All,

I recently picked up this picture and am having a bit of a wild goose chase trying to identify him. I should be able to giving the info, so one of the more knowledgable members can help. The picture shows a chap with corporal stripes and 1 wound stripe. The photo was sold as RWK but the badge looks like Queen's Own Royal West Surrey?

Take a look...

Thanks

Gilbert

post-7526-1140638918.jpg

Now, the postcard has information on the back, which appears to be written by the man himself, only at least some of it is wrong. It is as follows (note the spelling mistakes!)

"25734 (2 is blurred, could be a different number) Cyril Nightinggale (sic), Queens Own 16 Plattoon (sic), BEF, France."

I have tried various combinations on the NA site but can't find a match. The card is addressed to Miss L. Stichins, 36 (unreadable) PL, Plumstead, Woolwich, London

Can anyone here unravel the mystery?

Cheers

Gilbert

PS - The card has been cropped so no date stamp, but it is French.

Is it possible he's referred (or someone else has referred) to his Regiment - The Queen's - as the Queen's Own by mistake? Certainly looks like a Queen's badge to me (or one of the London Regiments with the same badge - 22nd and 24th London?)

Is it possible he's referred (or someone else has referred) to his Regiment - The Queen's - as the Queen's Own by mistake?

I don't think that WW1 soldiers were all 100% when it came to the history of their unit, or heraldry either.

I have a postcard of a cap badge, a water colour that I suspect was painted by a wounded soldier in WW1. He has done the badge of the RWF and "24th Foot".

On this forum I have posted a scan of the scrap of army shirt made into a keepsake, and sent home from Africa in WW1. The soldier has drawn a display of flags in Indian ink, and capped it with Queen Victoria's Crown.

Thanks all, yes Tom that's a match for the regiment, couldn't find a match on his name though. It all starts to get a bit confusing but didn't the Queen's get absorbed into the 22nd London or vice versa?

Yours confusedly,

Gilbert

Gilbert - the 22nd London (from Bermondsey) and 24th London (from Kennington) were discrete battalions of the territorial London Regiment, but badged to the Queen's. After the war they became battalions of the Queen's Regiment but I'm afraid I couldn't tell you which.

I actually passed by the 24th's war Memorial last year, quite by accident - a very nice monument in Kennington park, which mentions it's WW2 incarnation (7th Queen's?) as well.

Hello Gilbert,

I don't think I've found him as this soldier was in the East Surrey's or at least that's the unit he joined in 1915, but who knows, maybe he was transferred the the Queen's.

I've found a Cyril Alfred Nightingale who joined the East Surrey's in Nov. 1915 aged 18 years and 2 months and there's a Cyril A Nightingale on the NA but in the Army Cyclist Corps with the number 22895.

I also found a Cyril Nightingale born in Sept. 1897 and living down 259 Grove St., Deptford.

By the way, this Cyril was only 5' 3" when aged 18, the bloke in the photo doesn't look tall either but is it him? We can only say maybe and maybe not I think.

Did you buy the photo locally?

Where?

Do you really want to keep it?

Guess who wouldn't mind having it? :D

Tony

Thanks Guys, looks like he will have to remain a mystery man for now. Tony, I can't think who you can mean...

Cheers

Gilbert