Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Hero

Len Trim

As I said when introducing myself in 'Personal' I have just stirred myself to research my grandad. I have a Certificate of Service sitting in front of me. His Register number was 16152, name Arthur Ernest Trim. Joined in 1908 at only 17. He seems to have been in the Chatham Division. Ships during the war Natal, Intrepid, Bacchante and Glory 111. Record says that he 'participated in ballot for award of Victoria Cross granted for operations against Zebrugge and Ostendon the night of 22/23 April 1918(London Gazette, 23rd July 1918'. Record also says he was in Russia in 1918 and 1919 and was wounded in N. Russia.

A quick glance at the Marines records in the National Archives suggests I have to physically go there and look which is not possible for a while at least. Will try to track down the London Gazette reference meanwhile. Any help appreciated

Len

You'll find a link to the Gazette #30807, dated 23 July 1918, Here

The entire issue is devoted to the honours and awards to those involved in the operations against Zeebrugge and Ostend on the night of 22-23 April 1918.

Hope this helps

Steve

Len

You'll also find a link to the Gazette #31189 dated 19 Feb 1919, Here

This Gazette issue covers the Despatches from the Vice-Admiral, Dover Patrol with his report of the operations against Zeebrugge and Ostend on the night of 22-23 April 1918.

Regards

Steve

This Gazette issue covers the Despatches from the Vice-Admiral, Dover Patrol with his report of the operations against Zeebrugge and Ostend on the night of 22-23 April 1918.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the information and links Steve. I have had a good read of them. They do not mention my grandfather by name, but lots of interesting material. I will try another tack at the weekend. Perhaps his medals.

Len

Hi there,

I was fascinated to read your post about your grandfather. I am researching the role of the Royal Marines in the Zeebrugge Raid for an eventual book and am keen to contact descendants of those who took part. For my part, I can provide you with a copy of an article I wrote about the Royal Marines VC ballot which should answer a lot of your queries. I recognise his name but will have to wait til I get home to check my records to see what info I have on him. Please reply with your email and I will forward the article and anything I can find on him. For my part, I'd love to know whether you have any photos of him or anything else that might help me with my ambition to write a potted biography of each man with a photo.

Kind regards,

Dominic Walsh

dominic.walsh@ireland.com

Hi again,

Having checked my records, I note that Sgt A.E. Trim was in 3 Platoon for the Zeebrugge Raid. Interestingly, he won 2 votes in the VC ballot. That doesn't sound much but only a handful of the 700 or so marines got any votes at all. See the following link:

http://www.victoriacross.co.uk/zebrugge.html.

My notes show that he died on 14/6/1954.

Regards,

Dominic

Hi,

thanks for the fascinating message. The ballot paper is fascinating. Goodness knows where you find such stuff. I have so much to learn. I would of course be delighted to receive a copy of any other relevant material you may have. My e-mail address is leonard.trim@zetnet.co.uk

Other information on my Grandad I have to hand is a list of all the ships he served on, the mention of a couple of medals and the fact that he was wounded during service in Russia. I have an idea he may have served in the notorious 'Black and Tans' after the war, but I know nothing definite yet apart from the fact that he lived in northern Ireland before coming to Sacotland about 72 years ago.Will have a chat with my Dad tomorrow.

Just think I have my other Grandad to research as well. He was a Gordon Highlander. Gallipoli anyone?

Len

Hi Kath,

thanks for those links. I am now away to print it all out.

Len