Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheshire Regt.

6th Shropshires

Hi

Hoping there are more Cheshire experts on the forum then South Lancs ones <_<

Going by my records a very large transfer from the K.S.L.I. took places at end of war ? There are 826 K.S.L.I. men from Cheshire Regt. No. 68528 to 69354, then from 69355 to 69923 is a mixed bag of former Manchester Regt, S.W.B., Mons. Regt. and 20 or so K.S.L.I. Then there is another large batch of K.S.L.I. from No. 70132 to 70209.

At least two dozen of these K.S.L.I. men are reported wounded with the K.S.L.I. as late as November and December 1918 making them wounded in October and November, thats why I think they were transfered at end of war. This could just be a paper transfer but if any Cheshire expert can confirm this or not I would be greatful.

Also does anyone know the Cheshire medal roll refs. for the pages of medal roll that hold these number.

Thanks inadvance

Annette

Hi John

Thanks for the reply. There were several large scale transfers in both directions, in all some 2000 men swapped between both regiments.

Annette

Annette, wild guess, but was it to restore men to their original regiments? For instance those Chester Yeomanry troopers who transferred to (I think) 10 KSLI?

Hi Richard

No they are a right mixed bag, there are several dozen who were with the Cheshire Regt. before joining the K.S.L.I. and a few Cheshire Yeo. But there are many other former Regiments like the Welsh Regt., Glous., Wilts. and many others. There are some who are original K.S.L.I. (k1 & 2), there is also one chap from Leominster, Herefordshire, who is a original 1st Battalion man who landed with them in 1914.

Annette

annette,are they from the 9th battalion,it later became the 48th training res,they would have a lot of men from both the cheshires and the KSLI amongst them,it was stationed at prees heath,the dribs and drabs of soldiers from other regts could be men who had recovered from wounds who were released from hospitals in that area and ended up in the 48th TR,bernard

Hi Bernard

First a public thanks for photocopies of K.S.L.I. chaps in your local paper.

You could be right about them being 49th T.R. (Regimental History records 49th not 48th ?) but if this is so it must have been once the war end because a dozen or so of them were wounded with the K.S.L.I. in October and November 1918. Plus many of the lads from the other Regiments were wounded with the K.S.L.I. in early 1918 and a few in 1917.

Annette

Annette

Sorry to take this thread off at a slight tangent but I've got three 25th Royal Fusiliers transferring INTO the KSLI and was wondering if you had any details on them. They are:

Walter W Leach - 13173 25th RF transferred to KSLI as 202619.

William A Lythall - 14950 25th RF transferred to KSLI as 202669.

Nicholson Proctor - 15117 25th RF transferred to KSLI as 202800.

There's a 'pattern' emerging from their numbers but I don't know if they were part of a wholesale transfer of RF men to the Shropshires or whether they're just three individuals.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

They not part of a wholesale transfer of RF men, there are men from several different Regiments. I do not have the medal rolls enteries for this range of numbers so can not tell you which battalions of the K.S.L.I. they were in, expert for Nicholson Proctor who was killed with 7/K.S.L.I.

There are only about 15 men in all who transfered from the R. Fus. to the K.S.L.I., according to the M.I.C.'s on-line and about 190 who transfered from K.S.L.I. to R. Fus.

If you want detail of where Nicholson Proctor was killed let me know.

Annette

Annette

If you want detail of where Nicholson Proctor was killed let me know.

Yes please, anything you have on him would be much appreciated, until your reply I wasn't even aware that he had died so many thanks.

Thanks also for confirming that they were not part of a wholesale transfer from RF, I wasn't sure if the numbering pattern that appeared to be emerging was infact so, so at least that bins that theory.

Many thanks again

Steve

Hi Steve

Here is info. on 202800 Pte. Procter, Nicholson. Born Bolton Wood, Yorks. Enlisted Bradford, Yorks. 7/K.S.L.I. K. in A. 30/05/18 aged 27, Husband of Edith Procter, of I, Back Jewel St., Bowling Back Lane, Bradford. Buried in Sandpits British Cemetery, Fouquereuil (I. M. 12). The Battalion took over support line at Locon on the evaning of 30th May 1918, they were shelled during the relief. Two offices were killed plus two died of wounds next day (these included the C.O. and second in-command), and two other ranks were killed.

Info. from Regimentaql History, C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died.

Annette

sgt john bohen,205016 KSLI formerly a musketry instructor in the cheshire regt.

sapper h.coppock 282691 RE formerly KSLI

both died

pictures of both are on the way annette

bernard

Annette

Here is info. on 202800 Pte. Procter, Nicholson. Born Bolton Wood, Yorks. Enlisted Bradford, Yorks. 7/K.S.L.I. K. in A. 30/05/18 aged 27, Husband of Edith Procter, of I, Back Jewel St., Bowling Back Lane, Bradford. Buried in Sandpits British Cemetery, Fouquereuil (I. M. 12). The Battalion took over support line at Locon on the evaning of 30th May 1918, they were shelled during the relief. Two offices were killed plus two died of wounds next day (these included the C.O. and second in-command), and two other ranks were killed.

Many thanks for the above information, it is very much appreciated and will be added to my database.

Thanks again

Steve