Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service number prefix

Graeme Heavey

On the amazing discovery that my gt grandads papers survived the bombing in WW2, it has come to pass that his service number 6611 was prefixed by an 'S', thus S6611.

Can anyone tell me what the 'S' signifies? The mystery is that he enlisted in 1907 into 4th Royal Fusiliers, a regular battalion, serving in South Africa and India. He married my gt grandmother in Feb 1908 and his occupation is down as a hawker ( dad says rag and bone man! ). Would this mean he couldve been one of those reservists who was signed up for a short period then put on the standby list to be called when ready? I understand the prefix S/R was special reserve but his is definitely just an 'S'.

Help!!

Graeme :o

On the amazing discovery that my gt grandads papers survived the bombing in WW2, it has come to pass that his service number 6611 was prefixed by an 'S', thus S6611.

Can anyone tell me what the 'S' signifies? The mystery is that he enlisted in 1907 into 4th Royal Fusiliers, a regular battalion, serving in South Africa and India. He married my gt grandmother in Feb 1908 and his occupation is down as a hawker ( dad says rag and bone man! ). Would this mean he couldve been one of those reservists who was signed up for a short period then put on the standby list to be called when ready? I understand the prefix S/R was special reserve but his is definitely just an 'S'.

Help!!

Graeme :o

Service? My GF has one and he was New Army.

Is he ASC? if so "S" is Supply

if Infantry it usually denotes "Service" Bn;[ie 1914/15 Volunteer]

No he was infantry, 4th Royal Fusiliers. Enlisted 1907. He did however get discharged due to wounds in 1917. He then re-enlisted and was posted int the RASC bakery companies (44, 45 & 48) and got a service number that begins with T/********. Pointless really as he went AWOL 2 weeks after rejoining, in Catterick. Old Contemptible driven mad by bakery duty I suspect!

Which infantry regiments have an S prefix for service battalions?

a number;Rifle Brigade,Cameron Highlanders,spring immediately to mind

I am beginning to believe that he may have been a special reservist as I said in an earlier post. I also think he may have entered his civilian occupation on his marriage cert in 1908, as on his re-enlistment stuuf into the RASC it states his occupation again as a Carman and Hawker.

If he was a special reservist, did they exist before the 1908 restructuring of the Army? ( Haldane reforms)

Forget the Special Reservist bit. His battalion was regular, although an enlistment in 1907 would infer leaving the colours in 1914 with 5 years army regular army reserve liability, which automatically debarred him from SR.

The SR was brought into being in 1908, as you infer so, although his number is suggestive of SR, he could not have enlisted in 1907.

OK then. His papers say he enlisted in 1907 in Whitehall. Maybe he was called back then perhaps? Or could he have signed on again after 5 years in 1912?