Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW - George McKibbin, King's Liverpool Regiment

shaunr68

Hi, I wonder whether anybody would be kind enough to look him up for me? CGWC entry as follows:

Name: McKIBBIN, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Unit Text: 19th Bn.

Date of Death: 30/03/1918

Service No: 23107

Additional information: Brother of Mrs. Mary Moore, of 7, Dyke St., Everton, Liverpool.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 21 to 23.

Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL

He was the uncle of my great grandfather Henry McKibbin, whom I posted about some months back after I discovered he had been awarded the Military Medal for his part in a trench raid on the Somme.

Does the SDGW database contain basically the same information as CWGC, or will it provide more detail??

Oh, one more thing that intrigued me. When was the CWGC data collected and who supplied the information? I think I read somewhere that it was up to individuals to supply additional personal details if they wished. Mary McKibbin only became Mary Moore in 1924 when she married John Moore. I *believe* that both of their parents were dead by then, but there were lots of other siblings, was it simply the case of whichever family member decided to send in the details?

Most grateful

Shaun

Shaun,

I will leave some of your specific questions to those on the site who are more qualified to answer them that myself. I have checked my records and pulled the following together which I hope you will find interesting.

Promenade

George McKibbin was born in Liverpool and enlisted there in 20 KLR in mid November 1914 - his address at the time was 207 Breckfield Road North that of his mother Mrs McKibbin. He later transferred to 19 KLR. The Battalion Diary of 19 KLR for the period states:

29/3/18 (Rouvrel) - The Battalion was again reorganised and formed a Company of the 89th Composite Battalion, which was composed of the 17th, 18th and 19th Battalions of the KLR. Lieutenant Col G Rollo DSO being in command. The other Brigades of the Division, the 21st and 90th were similarly organised and the whole placed under the command of the Brigadier-General GA Stevens DSO. At night outposts were placed around the village to prevent surprise from the Bosche who by this time had succeeded in getting a footing in Moreuil. The 89th Composite Battalion was at this time attached to the 4th French Cavalry Division.

30/3/18 (Rouvrel) - The Composite Battalion moved off from Rouvrel at 8.30 am at 50 yards intervals between Companies arriving at Saleux at 3.20pm where they entrained, detraining at St Valery-sur-Somme the same night. The night was spent at St Valery.

In all there were 39 officers and men killed in action with 19th KLR on 30 March 1918 with no reference made in the war diary. A press cutting for one of the casualties for that day states that he was killed in a rear-guard action. A check of the Regimental History sheds no light on the operation on 30/3/18.

Thank you very much Promenade, he was living at 207 Breckfield Road North in 1901 with his parents so it's definitely the right man.

I'd still be most grateful if anybody has the the time to look him up on the SDGW register, to see if there are any additional details.

Cheers

Shaun