Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

g.g uncle

hoeven174

hello all

im looking for information on my g.g uncle william bonner ,abt 1849,thane oxfordshire,england he is on the 1881 cenus as beening in this regiment

1st battalion 2nd

queens royal regiment

aldershot,hampshire,england

and then in 1891

queens royal west surrey regiment

stoughton barracks

guildford,surrey

i think both regiments were put together and that he was long term in the army,can you help to find if he was in any war and how long he served,thank you joyce

hello all

im looking for information on my g.g uncle william bonner ,abt 1849,thane oxfordshire,england he is on the 1881 cenus as beening in this regiment

1st battalion 2nd

queens royal regiment

aldershot,hampshire,england

and then in 1891

queens royal west surrey regiment

stoughton barracks

guildford,surrey

i think both regiments were put together and that he was long term in the army,can you help to find if he was in any war and how long he served,thank you joyce

Hi Joyce and welcome to the mad-house . You'll like it here. If you click on the link at the top of the page you will go to the mother site. There is a lot of information there on how to follow up on the data you already have. Enjoy your research.

Hi Joyce and welcome to the forum.

Judging by his age I think it unlikely that your GG Uncle served in the Great War and was more likely discharged prior to this, however this may be a positive result because it is more likely that his service record will have survived at the National Archives in the WO97 series.

You will, however, need to go to the NA, Kew to view these records.

If he was discharged between 1883-1900 then the reference is:

WO97/2329 (covers surnames in range Bonn-Bookey).

If he was discharged between 1900-1913 then there appear to be two references:

WO97/4381 (covers surnames in range Bones-Book).

WO97/6326 (covers surnames in range Bone-Brough).

Hope this helps.

Steve

hello

thank you for your replys but i would love to go to kew ,but i live in the netherlanders,i have already found my grandfather who was in the 1914-18 he was asergent and accountant in 1st surrey riffles ashame he died 14 nov and the war i think ended on the 11 nov,some kind man went to the war graves and sent me apicture of his grave,anyway thank you for your help,joyce