Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC details

Graeme Heavey

Is it usual for an MIC to have incorrect information on it? My Gt grandads MIC states that he was discharged on 15/3/15 but according to the medal rolls and his papers that survived the blitz he wasnt discharged until 15/3/17 and even then according to the service papers he rejoined the Army and was sent to an RASC bakery Company. It also says he enlisted in 1907 and his service number was prefixed by an S which doesnt appear on his MIC either. On his marriage cert from Feb 1908 his occupation is given as a Hawker. He also has another service number for the RASC that begins with a T-what a mess!!! Any ideas?

Graeme <_<

Take the Roll & Papers dates as right the MiC were compiled as an internal reference,from the Rolls for Clerical purposes @ the AMO.so errors are common,with regard to the "S" prefix if in regard to ASC/RASC then it pertains to Supply{which if a Baker would follow,these Prefixes are not always entered on all documents["T" would be Transport,men would @ times be posted from one to the other,if required]

If you have the Service Papers & Medal Roll Pages then in all reality I wouldn't place too much importance on the MiC,though helpful,if nothing else survives,they are really rendundant if other documentation is available.

Thanks Harry. Ironically the MiC is what gave me the battalion he served in ie the 4th battalion RF. All the other stuff is correct except for said discharge date. I'll go with the facts that are proving to be true!