Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any Liverpool Regiment experts?

David_Bluestein

Any Liverpool Regiment experts?

Looking for details of the activities of the 7th Bn. Liverpool Regt. on April 9, 1918?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance for your help,

David

David,

I'm not an expert, but until one comes along:

The 55th Division were holding the line at Festubert when the German attack fell on them. The Bn War Diary contains a 3 page narrative of events which I will scan and post here tomorrow.

Ken

I'm not an expert, but until one comes along...

So, by accident you happen to know where they were and have a copy of the relevant diary.

You are far too modest Ken! :)

Well, I suppose that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King....

What I really meant was, there are many who know far more about the King's Liverpool Regiment than I. :unsure:

Ken

Well, I suppose that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King....

What I really meant was, there are many who know far more about the King's Liverpool Regiment than I. :unsure:

Ken

Ken,

THANK YOU kindly for your response! I never imagined that I could get so lucky, I will wait with great anticipation for the diaries.

My kindest regards,

David

This is the 1/7th Battalion War Diary for April 1918. Compared to other WDs for the division that I have seen, the 1/7th is by far the briefest. Fortunately, the events of the 9th April 1918 were significant enough to warrant a separate narrative entry (which follows).

post-927-1140605306.jpg

David,

I had to play around with the file format and size to keep under the Forum limit. If you want the original, full size scans, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will e-mail them to you.

Is you query in relation to an individual, or a new medal group? If so, let me have the details and I will see if I have any additional information.

Regards,

Ken

Bravo Ken!

Just brilliant, I couldnt be more pleased! Thank you for taking the time to scan and post all of these pages, they are very helpful.

Kind regards,

David

PS: I have sent you a PM

David,

I had to play around with the file format and size to keep under the Forum limit. If you want the original, full size scans, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will e-mail them to you.

Is you query in relation to an individual, or a new medal group? If so, let me have the details and I will see if I have any additional information.

Regards,

Ken

David & Ken

My Grandad, Alfred Dolton, served with the 1st King's Liverpool Regiment though I'm not sure which battalion. I do know that he was transfered from the Worcester Cavalry and he, with others, initially jumped their train en route from the Worcesters to the Liverpool Regiment as they wanted to remain cavalrymen! That's his version of events anyway. I know that he received the Military Medal while serving with the Liverpool Regiment. Aprt from that (and a few anecdotes) I know very little. Do you know how I can trace which battles he was involved in, where he was deployed etc? I also think his battalion went into Germay after the War (possibly taking POWs?). He was a 'boy soldier' who, understandably, didn't wish to talk about what he went through. If you can shed any light I would be truly grateful.

Best

Mike.

Mike,

Lance Corporal (Acting Corporal) 260357 A Dolton was awarded the Military Medal, it being announced in the London Gazette on 21/10/18. The only other details in the Gazette are that his home town was Redditch.

His service number shows that he transferred into the 6th Battalion.

Unfortunately, I don't know when he transferred or whether he remained with the 6th Battalion. He could have transferred again within the regiment without his number being changed.

The best way to proceed is to see if his service record has survived at the National Archives, Kew.

Also, it might pay to contact the Museum of Liverpool Life, Pierhead, Liverpool as they may be able to provide additional information.

The Battalion War Diary makes no mention of him being awarded the MM, which is not unusual, but I checked just in case.

Regards,

Ken

Mike,

If I could add a little to what Ken has written. As Ken points out the block of numbers 240001 to 265000 was allocated by the authorities to the 6th Kings (Liverpool Rifles). In practice within blocks the higher numbers were often allocated to men who were Territorials and who transferred into the King's only to be posted to a Regular or New Army Battalion. Thus the block 260252 - 260322 was allocated to Territorials from the Manchesters who were posted to 13 Kings. Your relative falls in a block 260352-260369 of London Regt Territorials who were transferred to the 1st Kings (I know your relative was 1/8 Worcs Regt but he is the only anomaly) - I would make an informed guess that they transferred to the King's in 1918. It is not clear whether Ken searched the 1st Bn Diary or the 6th Bn. In case he did not search the former I did a check for the whole of 1918 but could not find a refernce to Cpl Dolton being awarded the MM. However I did find a reference to him being promoted to Cpl which I reproduce below.

Promenade

TemoDolton-copy.jpg

Mike,

As Joe suggested, my War Diary search was for the 1/6th Battalion.

Ken

Ken & Promenade

Many thanks your your amazingly quick responses. I've made some progress too. I'm not sure of the source, as I haven't seen the actual document, but notification of the MM read;

'We are pleased to record another distinction won by a Redditch soldier. Official notification has beeen received that Corporal Alfred Dolton {260356}, 1st Battalion Kings Liverpool Regiment, son of Mr & Mrs E Dolton, 78, Rectory Road, Headless Cross, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallant conduct in the field leading his detachment during a raid on the night of 14th-15th July, after his officer had been wounded and incapacitated.'

Unfortunately I don't know where this action took place. Do you think Kew is the best place to find out? I don't expect you guys to come up with all the answers but any help is fantastic! As you can probably guess, I'm on steep learning curve here. Thanks again.

Mike.

Mike,

A search of the 1st King's War Diary for the 14th/15th July 1918 would at least tell you where the battalion was at that time and might even contain more detail about the raid itself.

If you do get to the National Archives and view the War Diary yourself, it may be that the officer(s) leading the raid are mentioned by name. They may also have been given gallantry awards so seek out their papers, too. They might contain additional information.

Let us know how you get on.

Ken