Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Regiment (Territorials)

JOSTURM

I'd like to start compiling a list of famous well known people who went through the London Territorial Battalions. Ronald Colman and Henry Williamson have got me started. Please send me what you know. I suspect the 28th London (Artists) may win ! It will be interesting to find out. Results will be published accordingly.

Thanks Peter

Eric Kennington - 13th London

Patrick MacGill - writer - 18th London

Felix Cassel - MP for St Pancras and later Judge Advocate General - 19th London

Harold Chapin - dramatist - served in the London TF RAMC (I think a field ambulance attached 47 Div) and killed at Loos

Do the famous people have to have served in the London Territorials during the Great War, or do they just have to have been in the ranks at some time?

If it's the second, then the following are among the more famous "Artists":

A. V. Alexander

Noel Coward

David Davis

Bear Grylls

Douglas Eivind Hall

William Holman Hunt

Chris Kendall

John Lavery

Frederic Leighton

John Everett Millais

William Morris

Paul Nash

Wilfred Owen

Dante Gabriel Rossetti

Edward Thomas

Barnes Wallis

Am I famous? :huh:

thought I'd heard of you, weren't you in a blues band ?

Certainly a group of Blue people!

You certainly are :lol:

Stephen

PS any news on Harriet's course work?

You certainly are :lol:

Stephen

PS any news on Harriet's course work?

Bless her - she's writing it as I speak (so to speak!). I was absolutely insensed when i saw the notes her teacher had given - under 'correct' bits in the programme, she had written that Generals didn't fight and din't care about their men!!!!!!!!! I have lent H my copy of Bloody Red Tabs, and am penning a note to teacher, offering to go and talk to the inmates.

what about the infamous?

infamy, infamy, they've all got it...

From my study of the 13th Londons my cavalcade of stars and contemporary celebs include:

Artist Eric Kennginton (as Charles above has pointed out). He went over in November 1914 and was sent back in February 1915 sick.

Private Harry Lee - Born 26th October 1890, Marylebone, London, England. He was wounded on 9 May at Auber's Ridge and lay in no man's land for three days before being collected by the Germans. His hip was so badly wounded that he was repatriated by the Germans. He was a right-hand batsman and right-arm slow-medium bowler who played for Middlesex and Marylebone Cricket Club and England in 1930/31. He died on 21st April 1981, aged 90 in Westminster, London.

Major Cedric Charles Dickens - He was the son of Henry Fielding Dickens and grandson of the author. Born in London, 8 March, 1889 and educated at Eton and Trinity Rail, Cambridge. He was was gazetted 2nd Lieut. 20 April, 1909 in the 13th and appointed Major on 18 December. 1915. He served with the Kensingtons and was killed in action on 9 September 1915.

Major Lionel Cohen - He was one of the two of three surviving officers who went to France with the Kensingtons in November 1914. He was a barrister and after the war held many government appointments. He became a judge, Lord in appeal and then life peer.

Private George Armitage - Joined Charlton Athletic as a professional and given a full England cap. He died in the mid 1970s.

Private Harry Ball/Bull - Professional football player for played for Chelsea, Fulham and Chatham.

Private Bavige - Played for Wimbledon.

Private Jack Bradshaw - Played for Fulham and his brother was manager.

Private Percy Dellow - Played for Oldham after the war.

2/Lt Alan Harding of the 11th Londons, served in Gallipoli, then the MGC. Pretty highly decorated Officer in WW1 & survived, eventually making it all the way top the lofty heights of Desert Rats General & "Field Marshall Lord Petherton" no less.

And my Gt grandfather found his first army issue compass 16 August 1915 after his very first battle, which I am very proud to still have!!

• 2 weeks later...

This is great - so far we have a list of 31 famous persons across the 5th, 11th, 13th, 18th, 19th and 28th battalions.

To add one more that I came across recently -

Henry Moore, the Sculptor served with the 15th Londons (Civil Service Rifles)

Surely there must be more sportsmen, writers, politicians out there who served with Territorials.

Any knowledge welcome.

Regards and thanks Peter