Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire Regiment

davidfegga

Hi all

Am researching my Great uncle who enlisted in the South Staffs in November 1915. His service records state that he was posted to Rugeley for training. I assume that the training camp was on Cannock Chase.Does anybody have any idea of the exact location, or any more info on the training there?

You simply must get hold of a copy of a little book called "A town for four winters" by CJ and GP Whitehouse, all about the Rugeley camp. There are traces of the camp still in Cannock Chase. Tom Morgan of this very forum may well have a copy.

Cheers Chris, shall try and get hold of a copy.

Dave

You simply must get hold of a copy of a little book called "A town for four winters" by CJ and GP Whitehouse, all about the Rugeley camp. There are traces of the camp still in Cannock Chase. Tom Morgan of this very forum may well have a copy.

I do have this book in stock. Should be £8.00 - our price is £6.50. Postage is 94p within the UK. I agree with Chris that it's an excellent little book.

Tom

Hi all

Am researching my Great uncle who enlisted in the South Staffs in November 1915. His service records state that he was posted to Rugeley for training. I assume that the training camp was on Cannock Chase.Does anybody have any idea of the exact location, or any more info on the training there?

Why not come along on the 'South Staffs Grand One Day Tour' on May 14th? We will be visiting the area of the Cannock Chase camps together with the Staffs Regt Museum and the National Memorial Arboretum. Open to all. :)

Roy