Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Corps

Colin P

Amongst the letters etc my wife has from her great uncle who died at Passchendaele we also have a WW1 Victory medal for

Private S Thompson

MGC 85799

The Medal Roll index shows him as Sidney Thompson.

I'm trying to find out more about Sidney and perhaps why his medal was with my wifes great uncle's letters & Death Plaque.

Plus any info on his connection/action with the MGC

Any assistance please?

Amongst the letters etc my wife has from her great uncle who died at Passchendaele we also have a WW1 Victory medal for

Private S Thompson MGC 85799

Any assistance please?

The only Sidney Thompson, MGC shown on the CWGC record as having died in 1917 is thus:

Name: THOMPSON, SIDNEY

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Machine Gun Corps

Unit Text: 44th Coy.

Date of Death: 11/05/1917

Service No: 45201

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Thompson, of Wolverhampton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 4.

Cemetery: ABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

The number differs, and he died not at Passchendaele but the last days of the Battle of Arras. Same man?

44th Company was the Brigade MG Company of 44 Bde of 15 (Scottish) Division, which fought at the First and Second Battles of the Scarpe.

Thanks for this. Have now checked at the CWGC couple of times myself although because he had this medal I presumed (probably wrongly?) that he must have survived. We also have what I thought was a very small home made "sabre" made out of a bullet, button & other metal inscribed FRANCE on one side & ARRAS 1919 on the reverse that was with the medal which may (or may not) have belonged to him. From info on the Soldiers Forum I have discovered that it is a trench art butter knife. I've learnt a lot over the past few days from this site.