Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

28th. Sept 1918 East of Ypres

jerper

Hello

My name is John Pearl I have a peice of paper that looks like a certificate, It was my Grandfathers whose name is Joseph James Pearl. It,s headed 29th Division and says " 199060 J.J.Pearl mm. Royal Engineers attd. 86th. Bde Headquarters "" I have read with much pleasure the reports of your regimental commander and brigade commander regarding your gallant conduct and devotion to duty in the field on 28th. Sept. 1918 East of Ypres and have ordered your name and deed to be entered in the record of the 29th. Division""Can anyone tell me what he had done to earn this?

Regards

John P.

John,

Whilst I cannot answer your immediate question, I can tell you a little about the 28th Sept 1918 'East of Ypres'. This was the start of the 4th Battle of Ypres, and was the commencement of a series of battles which eventually pushed the Germans back to the River Scheldte.

The first few days of the battle took place across the desolate wasteland around Passchendaele, which area had been fought over for the previous 4 years. As the British and Belgian armies advanced, they had to be supported by artillery and supplied with rations and ammunition. To move such items and equipment across the shell torn, muddy morass required a tremendous effort of engineering in building roads behind our advancing troops. This was down to the Royal Engineers.

I have no idea what your relative did, but it appears he held the Military Medal? Maybe a look at the Divisional diaries and history might shed some further light on the matter.

Ian

John,

Whilst I cannot answer your immediate question, I can tell you a little about the 28th Sept 1918 'East of Ypres'. This was the start of the 4th Battle of Ypres, and was the commencement of a series of battles which eventually pushed the Germans back to the River Scheldte.

The first few days of the battle took place across the desolate wasteland around Passchendaele, which area had been fought over for the previous 4 years. As the British and Belgian armies advanced, they had to be supported by artillery and supplied with rations and ammunition. To move such items and equipment across the shell torn, muddy morass required a tremendous effort of engineering in building roads behind our advancing troops. This was down to the Royal Engineers.

I have no idea what your relative did, but it appears he held the Military Medal? Maybe a look at the Divisional diaries and history might shed some further light on the matter.

Ian

Thankyou Ian for your time

John

Just general, but the 29th Div were attacking (86 Bde on the left) on the Menin Road, with Stirling Castle, Inverness Copse, Glencorse Wood and Polygon Wood as objectives for the 86th, with 87th Bde on heir right, and 88th bde in reserve to exploit to Gheluvelt. Quite a change from the battles a year earlier!

the attack was a great success, and the Brigadier general i/c 86 bde (with his Bde Major) took 17 prisoners himself in the first few minutes of the attack.

Sounds like grandad was in there too!

What a great souvenir to have.