Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Voices

themonsstar

By William Sheehan. Published by The Collins Press, West link Press, Doughcloyne, Wilton, Cork. ISBN-10:1903464897. 2005

Ireland's War of Independence generated a wealth of published material but very little from a British Perspective.

This book is the accounts of British Soldiers experiences from across the ranks.

1. Capt Swindlehurst. He was a Pte in the 2nd Batt Lanc Fus commissioned.

2. Brig Frederick Clarke. Lt in the Essex Regt.

3. Brig F.H. Vinden. 2nd Batt Suffolks. Pte in WW1 commissioned.

4. Flying Officers F.C. Penny. AIF transferred to the RFC.

5. Vice Admiral H.T. Baillie Grohman.

6. Capt R.D. Jeune. Intelligence Officers. (He was one of the few I.O. to survive bloody sunday 20th Nov 1920).

7. Lt Gen A.E. Percival. I.O. Maj Essex Regt. ( GOC Singapore & surrendered the City to the Japanese in 1942).

8. Field Marshal B.L. Montgomery. ( Brigade Maj with 17th Inf Brigade in Cork).

9. LT Col Evelyn Lindsay Young. Connaught Rangers.

10. Maj Gen Douglas Wimberley. M.G.C. Cameron Highlanders.

11. Lt Col Hughes-Hallett. King's Shropshire Light Inf.

12. Maj Reginald Graham. Devonshire Regt.

13. Maj Gerald Stone. Devonshire Regt.

14. Maj Gen Hawes. R.A.

There are some very good accounts of the War of Independence 1918-1921. Most of the papers are in the IWM, & TNA Museum.

By William Sheehan. Published by The Collins Press, West link Press, Doughcloyne, Wilton, Cork. ISBN-10:1903464897. 2005

Ireland's War of Independence generated a wealth of published material but very little from a British Perspective.

This book is the accounts of British Soldiers experiences from across the ranks.

10. Maj Gen Douglas Wimberley. M.G.C. Cameron Highlanders.

Wimberley led the "Highway Decorators" in WW2.

http://www.tmhbs.com/h_highlights_28_may_05.asp

Another good account of this period can be found in the history of the 15th Hussars. They were stationed in Ireland after the war and took part in several ecnounters with the Irish Insurgents.

there is also a certain amount of relevant material in Peter Hart's 'The I.R.A. and Its Enemies: Violence and Community in Cork, 1916-1923.' Incidentally this book is a really good read - I'm certainly no expert on that particular period of Irish history but I really enjoyed reading it.

Swizz