Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bill Baker, Nottingham ANZAC WIA Gallipoli

grantmal

Hi All,

Need some help with William Henry Baker, born around March 1883 in Nottingham, son of Charles Baker of Aslockton.

Bill Baker was an original member of C Section, 3rd Field Ambulance (he had previous service with the RAMC in South Africa), serving with the unit at Gallipoli where he was wounded by shrapnel:

"...it was nothing to speak of. A bit of shrapnel went through my right hand, but it did not even break a bone. If I don’t get anything worse than that I won’t mind at all. I have learnt a new dance here, it is called the “Turkey Trot” and is danced to the time of shrapnel. We have quite a lot of fun here watching one another dodging shrapnel……"

post-4061-1140482876.jpg post-4061-1140482693.jpg

In March 1917 Bill Baker transferred to the 51st Battalion. He returned to Western Australia after the war, farming near Northam, and died in the Perth Repat hospital in the 1950s.

Given Baker's father was still residing in Aslockton during the war years, it is possible the local newspapers mentioned him and may have reprinted some of his letters. The librarian at Nottingham library sent the following from 1891 census:

Charles Baker head married aged 32a Railway Signalman born in Lincolnshire.

Harriet A. Baker wife aged 30 born at Aslockton.

William H. Baker, son aged 8 a scholar born at Hucknall Torkard

Walter W. Baker son aged 5 a scholar born at Aslockton.

Margaret C. daughter aged 2 born at Aslockton.

Frederick R. son aged 1 born at Aslockton.

Anybody researching in this area, or know of any local group that may be able to help?

Good on you,

Grant