Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Advice on service Nos - Essex Reg

shaymen

Ok

Hopefully this is not a stupid question but one I feel I need to ask. I need you advice !

Two soldiers from my local Mem killed on the same day.

1.Private Charles William WARWICK 24049

Essex Regiment 9th Battalion

Killed in Action 3rd July 1916 aged 19

Thiepval Mem.

2.Private Walter Frederick GRAY 24052

Essex Regiment 9th Battalion

Killed in Action 3rd July 1916 aged 18

Ovillers Military Cem.

MIC shows same medal roll numbers for both lads.

Both enlisted in Saffron Walden

As there service numbers are so close together CAN I ASSUME that they both enlisted on the same day.

Advice please

Glyn

As there are only 3 numbers between them,I should think it fairly safe to assume they were standing within 2 or 3 people between them in the Queue! {& unless they were either side of midnight then safe to say they enlisted the same day}

Thanks Roger

Had to ask just to be sure, Fairly obvious I suppose but you never know :)

Chances are they were mates from the village and went to enlist together, and maybe died together, sad.

Thanks

Glyn

Strange they both enlisted in Saffron. I don't have any enlisting in Saffron but I suppose your lads might have jumped on a train at BS or SM and got to Audley End that way.

Most of mine enlisted in Braintree/Chelmsford with only a handful in Dunmow. Perhaps it would have been a lot harder for my lads to get to Saffron.

Kate

Kate

Thats very interesting as I would have expected some of yours to have enlisted in Walden.

I know in the early stages of the conflict ( Sept/Oct 1914) a lot of those from Stansted who volunteered were taken to Saffron Walden by arranged Motor Transport - Maybe there was a similar arrangement in Dunmow to go In the other direction.

Glyn

CAN I ASSUME that they both enlisted on the same day.

Hi Glyn,

Could be, but if there's a chance they attested rather than volunteered it could simply indicate that they were mobilised on the same day. For example my grandfather and his cousin, both from the same small village, were both in the RGA during the war, and their service numbers were actually consecutive. They both attested at different times (December and November 1915 respectively), but it so happended they were both moblised the same day in May 1916 and hense the adjacent service numbers. :)

cheers

Steve

Glyn

My admittedly very limited information on 9th Essex service numbers suggests that they enlisted between October 1915 and March 1916.

Paul

Hi Glyn,

Could be, but if there's a chance they attested rather than volunteered it could simply indicate that they were mobilised on the same day. For example my grandfather and his cousin, both from the same small village, were both in the RGA during the war, and their service numbers were actually consecutive. They both attested at different times (December and November 1915 respectively), but it so happended they were both moblised the same day in May 1916 and hense the adjacent service numbers. :)

cheers

Steve

Steve

Thats a very interesting point, Thanks for the info.

Paul

Thanks for that information.

Maybe not quite as straightforward as I first thought.

Glyn

Just noticed - don't know why it hadn't dawned on me before - but two more of the men on my memorial who were formerly with the Essex were numbers 24050 and 24048 - so could all 4 have enlisted together.

Probably never know but adds a bit of a story for my book !

Glyn

Have you checked the other numbers in that region as well? You'd probably find some other Stansted men who survived. A bit more delving would possibly identify them all on the 1901 census and you may find a common works link - eg all working for the same farmer as agricultural labourers etc.

24047 Pte H S Lucas for instance?

Cheers

Paul

Yes I did give that a try but no Lucas with any Stansted Connection or Metford 24046.

I will give a few more numbers a try

Thanks

Glyn