Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

x planes

andy 1

It's the DH6.

See "The Aeroplanes of the RFC (Military Wing)" by the late Jack Bruce.

Mike

thanks for the reply mike.

if it is the DH6 it more than likely is my man who is mentioned in this report.

andy

Interesting; I thought the DH6 had a reputation of being very safe, but obviously not. If it needed max negative angle on the tailplane and elastic to pull the stick forward (see report in link), it must have been tail heavy. Not one of GDH's better-thought-out efforts.

Adrian

Adrian

As a consequence of its design as a machine that could be easily produced and repaired, the DH 6 proved to be a fairly dangerous trainer, albeit one with the desired low landing speed and an inability to spin inadvertantly. After the Accidents Committee report mentioned by Andy, the DH 6 was modified (the rudder and elevator area was decreased and the wings rigged with negative stagger) to make it safer, but at about the same time the RAF decided to make the Avro 504 the standard basic trainer. This released the DH 6 for other roles, including anti-submarine patrol duties.

There's an account of this in British Aviation - The Great War and Armistice by Harald Penrose. PM me if you'd like me to scan an extract.

Best wishes

Gareth

It's the DH6.

See "The Aeroplanes of the RFC (Military Wing)" by the late Jack Bruce.

Mike

DH6, otherwise known as 'The Crab', 'The Dung Hunter', 'The Clutching Hand', 'The Sky Hook' (How many budding air engineers were sent to stores to collect some of these I wonder? :) ), 'The Flying Coffin' or 'The Sixty' .

Those used for maritime patrol often finished up in the oggin thanks to the unreliability of their Curtiss OX-5 engines. Their only plus here was that they floated well increasing the chances for aircrew recovery.