Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anybody help me?

Guest broughy

Hi!

I am just halping my dad to research his grandfather and am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

My great grandfather enlisted on 8th August 1903 in Portadown. He was in the Royal Garrison Artillary, but I'm finding it difficult to find information on them before 1914 and wonder if the regiment name changed?

I have a regiment number: 16342 and know that he was in the following places:

Leith 1903

Bombay 1906

Calcutta 1907

Aden 1909 - 10

Bombay 1911

* We can't make out where he went on 8.1.1916* - possibly Dunree, Co. Donegal as my great uncle was born there about that time

Singapore / or Dingapore (faint) 1917

I think he was a Sargeant Major by the end of that, but don't think he went in as an officer.

He could have been in more places, but that's what I have.

Could anyone tell me how I could go about finding out more information from the army? I've tried the medal logs but getting nowhere - Dad remembers his medals, but it seems that they have not survived to today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The RGA was established by Royal Warrant in July 1899,making it a seperate Branch of the Royal Regiment of Artillery,& to be responsible for Coastal Defences,Seige;Heavy & Mountain Batteries,so by the time your Man enlisted it would have been well established.

Mountain Batteries served,I believe,in South Africa & India,@ the end of the 19th ,beginning of the 20th Century,& had many Coastal Defence Batteries throughout the UK & Empire.<::Royal Regiment Of Artillery History Link::>

What was his name - I have the attestation list for Ireland's RGA?

What was his name - I have the attestation list for Ireland's RGA?

That's great!

His name was John B Brough - he could have been there under that name, but there is some suggestion that he could have been called Bruffey / Broughy / Brophey. He signed up on 8 August 1903 if that is any help, and think his brother William E might have signed up on the same day.

He served 3 years and 9 years reserve if that means anything to you?

Thanks again!

The RGA was established by Royal Warrant in July 1899,making it a seperate Branch of the Royal Regiment of Artillery,& to be responsible for Coastal Defences,Seige;Heavy & Mountain Batteries,so by the time your Man enlisted it would have been well established.

Mountain Batteries served,I believe,in South Africa & India,@ the end of the 19th ,beginning of the 20th Century,& had many Coastal Defence Batteries throughout the UK & Empire.<::Royal Regiment Of Artillery History Link::>

Thank you!

Excuse my ignorance here, but I thought if he had signed up in Portadown then he would belong to some section of the RIR. Is this not the case?

Thank you!

Excuse my ignorance here, but I thought if he had signed up in Portadown then he would belong to some section of the RIR. Is this not the case?

Also, (once again, please excuse my ignorance) would he have been in a particular batallion of the RGA - if so, do you know where or how I could find out which one?

Thanks again.