Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oswald Mosley in the RFC

StevieB

Hello All,

I was doing some reading at the weekend and came across a reference to Oswald Mosley serving in the RFC, where he was wounded in a crash. I know he joined the 16th Lancers and transferred across, but does anyone know what squadron Mosley served on, or any details of his time in the RFC?

Thanks

Steve

Steve

From the dictionary of national biography:

At Sandhurst, which he entered as an officer cadet in January 1914, Tom Mosley first exhibited the aristocratic insolence which later marked his politics. In what he called the ‘corinthian tradition’, he and a group of high-spirited friends broke out at night, got drunk, and provoked fights with the chuckers-out at London music-halls as well as with fellow cadets. A dispute over some ‘misplaced’ polo ponies led to a fight in college in which Mosley hit a fellow cadet with a riding crop. A skirmish ensued, in which he fractured his right ankle, and as a result of which he and fifteen other cadets were rusticated. They were soon recalled, however, on the outbreak of war, and Mosley was commissioned in the 16th lancers, a smart cavalry regiment, and sent for training in Ireland.

Mosley's war record was good but did not measure up to his hopes. He volunteered for the Royal Flying Corps, and by Christmas 1914 was flying as an observer in one of their flimsy contraptions over enemy lines. He gained his pilot's certificate, but showing off before his mother at Shoreham in May 1915 he crashed his plane and broke his right ankle for a second time. He was re-posted to his regiment, which needed its officers, in October 1915, before his leg had properly healed. After a few months in the sodden trenches under fire, but battle free, he was sent home for further operations which saved his leg but left him with a permanent limp and, by October 1916, fit only for desk work.

Doesn't mention his squadron unfortunately.

Cheers

Dominic

Interesting. Most of the other references you read refer to Mosley crashing on the Western front - not showing off in front of his Mum!

I still can't find what squadron he was on either after trawlling the internet last night. Obviously more renowned for his politics than his flying!

Steve

Found these old threads one of which has an extensive quote from Mosley's autobiography, proving the Shoreham crash and that he served with Captain L G Hawker who got a VC for action on 25th July 1915 (after Mosley left the squadron). Hawker was in 6 squadron RFC.

Mosley query

Cheers

Dominic

Steve

Found these old threads one of which has an extensive quote from Mosley's autobiography, proving the Shoreham crash and that he served with Captain L G Hawker who got a VC for action on 25th July 1915 (after Mosley left the squadron). Hawker was in 6 squadron RFC.

Mosley query

Cheers

Dominic

Thanks Dominic. I thought I'd done a search to see if anything had been posted previously, obviously my IT skills are lacking! At least this satisfies my curiosity. Cheers.