Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Sentences Passed by the British Army

DMcNay

Got hold of this book which lists all the death sentences passed. Includes some civilians from the Irish Mutiny. It includes not only the men executed but the men who had their sentences lessened.

Information includes name, rank, regiment, offence, date (I think it's the date the sentence was passed) and the eventual punishment they received. Some entries also have a litle extra information, for example it might include that a civilian in Egypt was sentenced to death for shooting into a crowd. I don't have the book to hand right now (I'm at work!) so I may have missed some information that it contains. If I have I'll amend this post.

Happy to do lookups. Please note though, that the information is listed in surname order. Please do not ask me to check for all the men from a specific regiment. It would take me too long to go through the entire book to find them. So it's names only please.

I'll be at work most weekdays so I'll post replies to any queries in the evening.

Regards,

David McNay

Got hold of this book which lists all the death sentences passed. Includes some civilians from the Irish Mutiny. It includes not only the men executed but the men who had their sentences lessened.

Information includes name, rank, regiment, offence, date (I think it's the date the sentence was passed) and the eventual punishment they received. Some entries also have a litle extra information, for example it might include that a civilian in Egypt was sentenced to death for shooting into a crowd. I don't have the book to hand right now (I'm at work!) so I may have missed some information that it contains. If I have I'll amend this post.

Happy to do lookups. Please note though, that the information is listed in surname order. Please do not ask me to check for all the men from a specific regiment. It would take me too long to go through the entire book to find them. So it's names only please.

I'll be at work most weekdays so I'll post replies to any queries in the evening.

Regards,

David McNay

Dave the book has a list of sentences by Regiment/ Corps and is the first book I check when researching names!

Aye

Malcolm