Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serjeant Albert G Hart MM 322532 London Regt

Rod Mills

I am looking for some details on the above soldier, If anyone can help i would like to know when and how he won his MM.

His son Albert C Hart MM who will be 90 years old this year was never told.

Thanks for any info

Rodney

Rodney

A link to the London Gazette (#31338, dated 14 May 1919) listing for Albert G Hart's MM can be found Here

Unfortunately with MM's no citation was printed in the Gazette so the details as to when and where etc. will have to be found from other sources. You could try the War Diary for the 6th Battalion London Regiment, A regimental history (if there is one) or the soldier's local newpapers (these seem to offer the best chances of finding information as to actual awards etc.)

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Steve for the info.

I have just downloaded his medal card and it says

6th London posted 9th Bn London Rgt (LF) thats what it looks like

Gives Gazette No 62 14/05/19

Thanks for your help i will go to your link

Rodney

Thanks Steve for the info.

I have just downloaded his medal card and it says

6th London posted 9th Bn London Rgt (LF) thats what it looks like

Gives Gazette No 62 14/05/19

Thanks for your help i will go to your link

Rodney

Hi there,

Page 652 - Queen Victoria's Rifles by Keeson, lists Sgt Hart A.G. (6th London, attached 9th) MM 14.5.19.

Page 441/2 - Sept 20, 1918 - Epehy and Kildare Post - "Using bombs and machine guns, a number of them managed to reach our lines, but were immediately driven out or disposed of with our own bombs. Sgt Hart and Cpl Lowe , with several bombers, followed on their heels, and the position was soon restored".

Letter from Rfm S.Gray - "We got to one of his trenches, where we found a machine gunner at work, and he was promptly put out of action by Sgt Hart, but, unfortunately, not before he had laid low one of our Officers, Lt Hunt....It was on the following day whilst holding this positionthat Sgt Hart and Rfn Rossi won their Military Medals. During the morning a party ofabout 30 Huns, made a bombing raid on our trench, but kept out of range of our hand grenades. RfnRossi wnet forward by himself and drve them back with hand grenades , leaving about five or six dead behind them. After that Sgt Hart went forward with a small party of men, and again drove them off. "

Regards

Josturm

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Josturm for your info

Sorry i have not said thanks before but have been in scotland

Is it possible to find out in what area the fighting was taking place on these dates in September

Regards Rodney

I have located a copy of History & Records of Queen Victoria's Rifles 1792-1922 by Maj C A Cuthbert Keeson VD From Play.com Thanks