Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MM - 9th Royal Sussex

BeppoSapone

I have just 're-discovered' an MM won by 10147 L.Cpl W E Martin of 9th Royal Sussex. I have owned this for the best part of 30 years and forgot I had it. I 'moved on', and started to collect identity discs and flashes instead.

When I first got this MM I wrote to the Royal Sussex's Regimental Museum. I was told that this medal was won at "Fosse 8" at Loos. Some years later I showed it to a well known Sussex Regiment collector who told me that it could not possibly have been won where/when the Museum said.

What do the "Baker Pals" say? Can his enlistment date be told from his number?

That was quick Papineau

From his medal card I see that his name was William E Martin and he made Serjeant with the number 11897. I was wondering what can be told from the numbers?

Am just off to try the London Gazette

Am just off to try the London Gazette

I will have to try later/tomorrow. I am having problems with the "London Gazette"

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]

Syntax error occurred near 'E'. Expected ''''' in search condition '""William E Martin""'. 

/at/archiveSearchResultsLogic.asp, line 102 "

All Greek to me!

Beppo, if you havent got it yet here is his MM in the gazette

John.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Thanks for that John. I was just going to have another try!

When was it awarded? Which London Gazette?

Papineau

It was published on the 2 June 1916. Page 41 of 52

Do you think Ypres?

Hooge would suit me down to the ground :)

It could well be for Loos then; that was the first MM Gazette and many of them were awarded for periods or acts of bravery back to the 1914 campaign. Some were also for Loos; so it is possible that this included your man. Have you tried Sussex local newspapers?

It could well be for Loos then; that was the first MM Gazette and many of them were awarded for periods or acts of bravery back to the 1914 campaign. Some were also for Loos; so it is possible that this included your man. Have you tried Sussex local newspapers?

Not yet. Other than the letter to the museum this item is totally unresearched.

Could be interesting then; pity you didn't buy a tin hat load of them 30 years ago!

Also a pity that I traded off most of the Victory medals I got cheap. I used to buy them in quantity because they were cheap - no-one wanted them.

I kept a few medals, including a New Zealand pair. Once the CWGC came on line I found out that the Kiwi had been killed in France in 1916.

I suppose that, if it was difficult to research the medals, they had little value. People I knew collected 'one of everything'.