Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Walter Matthews - Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Guest victoriaellis

Guest victoriaellis

I am trying to find out about Private Walter Matthews (my great great uncle). I know (from letters he wrote to his mother) that he served in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (3/6th?) and his regimental number was 4240. I have found his medal index card at the National Archives site, which tells me he was awarded the Victory and British medals. It doesn't give any dates, and the Theatre of War and Remarks boxes are blank. I can't find any record of his death at the CWGC site or British War Memorials Project, so assume he survived, but people who were around in the 1920's and 1930's know nothing about him... If anyone can provide any information about where his battalion would have been, or suggest any other sources of information (I intend to visit the National Archives, but can't get there just yet), I would be very grateful!

3/6TH Warwicks spent their war service in the UK, finishing as part of the Tyne Garrison in Northumberland in 1918.

Looks like he didn't serve overseas.

Bob.

Victoria,

If he was awarded the BWM and VM then he would have had to serve in a theatre of war to qualify.

I expect that the 3/6th was his battalion prior to being transferred for overseas service.

Unless a pal, who is a Warwicks expert, has a database of serving men I guess it means a trip to the NA to see if his service records exist, or if the medal roll itself reveals more.

Maybe a local newspaper (archives at the local library) holds some contemporary lists of local servicemen who joined up.

Ian

Attached page 215, Appendix, "The Story Of The Royal Warwickshire Regiment" by C.L. Kingsford.

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1140459605.jpg

Guest victoriaellis

Thank you very much for your replies.

When I posted the other day I hadn't seen the letters - just had bits of information that my mum had read to me.

There are 4 letters from Walter, two written in April 1916, the first from Warwick, and the second (on Forces notepaper) from Southend-on-Sea. The other two are from Sheffield, one from 33 Newhall Road, the other just says Sheffield. In the ones from Sheffield, he talks about his bad foot, and also about joining up again (to the ASC or Motor Transport) but he is not sure about the medical report. So I am guessing he then did join up again and - as you say Ian - was overseas later on. The regimental number is the same both on the initial letters and on his medal card, and both say Royal Warwickshire Regiment, but the medal card doesn't mention which Battalion.

I guess I will be off to the National Archives pretty soon!! Any other light anyone can shed in the meantime would be excellent.

Thank you again,

Victoria

Guest victoriaellis

Thanks Tom - I had already seen that - it just says Royal Warwickshire Regiment...

Am compiling a list of things to look for at the NA so will make my way down there soon!

Thanks anyway!