Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location of mine craters near Fromelles

withcall

Can anyone locate the exact position of these craters? According to what I've read, they were blown under the German lines somewhere near Delangre Farm. I've looked on my trench map CD at the Aubers and Radinghem maps (this bears out the First Law of Great War Research:- All Interesting and Vital Locations Shall Be Positioned at the Junctions of Two Different Maps...) One map is Dec 1915 and the other 1916, so the craters would have been marked. So far, I've found nowt. I've looked on the IGN map for suitable ponds, and the only likely one is in a copse of trees towards Rouges Bancs, but this seems to far back according to thw written accounts.

What's his 'alias'on the forum, please - or how else do I locate him to send him a PM? Sorry, to be dumb, but I'm a novice.

Are these the mines blown on the attack front of 8th Division? If so, they were oppsoite La Cordonnerie Farm, I thought; the craters, with men of 2nd Lincs in them, were photographed during the battle. There is no trace of them today.

Withcall, sorry mate, I cannot locate him, he is a forum member, hopefully he will find this thread, but I have his book! The mine craters locations according to Brendon are still evident. He says you can still see the depressions in the fields, but they were filled in years ago and now only the sunken depressions remain.

Thanks for making the effort anyway. I had an idea - somewhere at home I've got the C.E.W. Bean Australian official history for 1916. It has lots of sketch maps of Fromelles and the craters must surely be marked, as they fought over exactly the same ground. I'll look when I get home from work.