Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Foreign Service

johnreed

I came across this entry in the London County Council record of service in the Great War, an amazing list of awards for an individual.

Coppin, Dorothy Elsie (1915-19); (1) Medaille d'honneur (silver), (2) Medaille de la Reconnaisaance, Francaise (silver), 2 citations, (3) L'Insigne special (in gold); Sister in Charge of Surgical Service, Hospital 22, French Army Nursing Service, Croix Rouge Francaise, Comite Britannique (36 Corps); France 4 years. She was in the LCC Department of Public Health.

John

amazing indeed! a quote by kate adie came to mind - " what history usually fails to record or recall is the non heroic side of war: those who cooked, cleaned, supplied, did the washing, tended the wounded, comforted the warrior".

this lady's contribution was obviously valued at the time but.....

Some years ago (in the late 70's early 80's) I knew 'Nurse Coppin'. It must be the same person. She was a member of our Church in Bournemouth. She was said to have worked or trained with Edith Cavell. I will try and get some more detail from her parish priest and post it on the site. I remember her as a very gentle, dignified and Christian lady.

Edwin Astill