Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nightwatch/ pre-smoking ban!

Soren

Hi Pals,

I thought I'd share this, 'Night Watch' per-smoking ban, the image will be deleted at the end of the day as I have not worked out how to link images yet and do not wish to take up forum space.

and a detail, as it's a scan it appears a bit blurred

and a detail, as it's a scan it appears a bit blurred

post-4474-1140359359.jpg

Soren... Just great -as usual!!-

I particularly like the way in which the colour has been worked out at -and around- the smoker's face, it reminds me the way Orpen did it in some of his war paintings (those who were portraying the Tommies on foot and not the High and Mighty).

The sleeping soldier lying left is summoned in a few mighty strokes... I take my hat off!

Gloria

Wonderfully emotive picture. But surely smoking in the trenches will be banned from 2007

Patrick

Hi Soren,

Nice and emotive with the effect of the light - how about the same treatment for faces illuminated by gunflash (say, a gun team for instance) or a patrol in no-mans-land and the glare of a flare or star-shell?

Ian

Thanks Guys!

The other ideas are good, and sort of what I have been thinking about doing.

Not a natural with the oils to be honest, but this picture does in fact look better in the flesh and is darker and more atmospheric.

Sozz

Wonderfully emotive picture. But surely smoking in the trenches will be banned from 2007

Patrick

can picture it

this is a non-smoking trench please leave or put it out :D

bruce

Excellent, Soren, but I felt it my duty to e-mail a copy to Patricia Hewitt; her operatives will be in touch to arrange a course for you, and to ensure that all smoking-related references are tippexed out.

But it is a bloody good picture.